PDA

View Full Version : Clear Plastic Protector?

imported_phareous
07-19-2003, 11:09 PM
My brother told me he remembered reading in popular mechanics or popular science about a new product (he thought from 3M) that is essentially a clear plastic cover you can put on the hood and wheels to protect them from acid rain, rocks, etc. Its supposed to not be visible.

Has anybody heard about this? I did a quick google search and couldn`t find anything

imported_phareous
07-19-2003, 11:15 PM
Ok finally found it...what do you guys think? I`m getting a brand new car in a few weeks

Here is the link:

3M Paint Protection Film (http://cms.3m.com/cms/US/en/2-168/clelFFC/view.jhtml)

russ968
07-20-2003, 11:51 AM
Phareous,

I have been impressed by the 3M product in particular and frequently find it applied by the local Porsche, Ferrari and other high end dealers. Porsche has for years applied a similar product at the factory in some vulnerable areas like behind the front wheel well and in front of the rear wheel well. You may want to look into Stoneguard...it is a pre-cut kit for many popular cars and uses the 3M product. I understand that it is very difficult to apply and that this doesn`t lend itself well to DIY projects.

I do believe these products protect paint from stone chips, etc. With that said, these products change the approach to detailing your car where they are applied and, IMO, take some of the fun out of the detail oriented paint finish work that so many Autopian`s covet.

So, YMMV, I`d recommend if your car is a daily driver or perhaps your in an area with lots of debris on the roads this is a good solution. If you are a die hard detailer and love the feel of a smooth finish and the glide of that final coat of wax as it goes on these paint protection films might not be for you.

My 2 cents.

Russ

jaim
07-20-2003, 11:59 AM
Forget about that product.

Just think about this.

For sure someday / somehow that plastic cover will be damaged... when it happens, there is nothing you can do except to replace / remove the entire plastic.

Unlike the ordinary scratched paint surface, you can still do section by section repairs but with that product, you need to replace the entire plastic cover... what do you think will happen if you remove that sticky adhesive on top of your paint surface.

:scared

Just my 2 cents.

imported_phareous
07-20-2003, 09:32 PM
Well they say it can be removed safely. I think I like the benefits/protection it offers but on the other hand it would mess up my detailing...no buffing, etc.

I think right now I`m leaning towards putting some steel armor on the front...you know maybe some classy chrome tank armor. I think that would take care of that road debris :)

Deanski
07-20-2003, 10:12 PM
Phareous,

GET THE ARMORGLOVE B4 YOU REGRET IT!!!!

My `03 Lexus SC430 was 15 days old, not a daily driver and got stoned several times on a parkway w/o trucks etc.

Here is a pic of the SC430 with it on. I left the polish in the line where it ends so you can pick it out. Otherwise, you have to be very close to the car to see it.

My SC430 w+ Armorglove (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3598&papass=&sort=1)

I have it on the hood area, wrapped under it, front bumper/air-dam, side mirrors, headlights, fender by lights, rocker panels and door cups.

After several years, have them remove it and no damage to paint. Paint under it will react same as without, in other words, will oxidize the same.

Yes you can wax it. I have Zaino on my Armorglove.

One warning, IT"S SOFT! Be VERY careful wiping/polishing around it or on it. Even a MF towel rubbed hard will put a scratch in it!!

Please, if you get a new car that has a low profile, get it done! Todays paints are so soft, they chip easy. Just have the area free of wax and oils. Who ever does it will prep the finish anyway.

I like Armorglove as they could wrap the hood, others stop at the edge making it look more like a decal.

I strongly recommend it to anyone getting a new high-end car or low profile car. Also, get the headlights done. No more sandblasted lenses. When it`s worn, I`ll have them remove/replace the headlight film.

You can see Armorglove here as well. Amorglove paint protection film (http://www.armorglove.com/)

Need more info? PM me!

Regards,

Deanski

imported_phareous
07-20-2003, 10:19 PM
Deanski did you install it yourself? It says easy to install...I am wondering how easy. There is no installer anywhere near me

Deanski
07-20-2003, 10:33 PM
No, do not attempt! It takes special tools and trained personnel in most cases. GO to 3M site and look at "Scotchcal" and you`ll see. I PM`d you.

Deanski