PDA

View Full Version : Engine kote beading on my plastic!

samiam513
07-19-2003, 08:34 PM
On the electric fan cover in the mustang, engine coat is beading up! When it dries, ,it has glossy spots, and teh rest of the efam cover is dull!

I have APC+ this crap out of this thing... nothing is making it any better. It keeps beading up!

It was bonding perfectly about a month ago!

Anyone have any idea why?

imported_phareous
07-19-2003, 08:51 PM
Well if its beading up I assume that means there is some kind of protectant or oil finish on it and engine kote is water based? Not sure...but I`d try some plexus plastic cleaner or some other good plastic cleaner, then try the engine kote again

Deanski
07-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Yea, mine did too! I hate this Engine Kote. It`s no more than a floor wax. Doesn`t the smell remind you of something? I wiped as soon as it beaded. That helped, but went back to #40 after that. Waiting for my 303 to try in there.

I`m now using EK just for wheel wells and undercarriage only.

Use any type of wax removal product or try alcohol as well.

Good luck.

Deanski

KCPreki11
07-20-2003, 08:58 PM
I was going to get some engine kote. Your now saying it`s not good?

Deanski
07-20-2003, 09:07 PM
IMO, It`s not what it`s all cracked up to be. You need a really good spray to obtain a fine mist with it. Otherwise you get beading and it`s a pain to resolve.

I went back to the #40, but have to wipe off as it attracts dust/dirt like crazy. The EK does not as it is more of a wax. Smell it and you tell me what it smells like... Floor wax of some kind.

I`d try it on something else to get the results to see if you like it.

Great for wheel wells!

Deanski

KCPreki11
07-20-2003, 09:11 PM
Well I was going to buy a whole gallon of it.

imported_Aurora40
07-20-2003, 09:14 PM
Weird... I`ve never had it bead. However, if you have to wipe #40 on, then why not just wipe on EK? I do that a lot when I don`t want overspray to get on nearby things. EK will be a lot more durable and dust-resistant than a vinyl/rubber protectant.

I also mix it 1:1 with distilled water to aid in spray application. You might try this if you are having problems with it. Basically you can spray more to get more complete coverage, but without applying twice as much product...

jerry@robs
08-08-2003, 05:33 AM
You have to wipe it on to spread it, don`t follow the instructions (geez, Meg instructions are hard to understand)... In our shop we use EK all the time and it works great to avoid future grime from piling up on regular customers (non-detail freaks like us)... Spray it with a garden fertilizer sprayer (those pressurized ones) then spread evenly using a sponge or foam...

Oh, heed Aurora`s advice with overspray, it`s a pain to remove on painted surfaces.

Tim Lingor
08-08-2003, 03:29 PM
Funny, I have never had a problem with Meguiar`s Engine Kote beading up or other. I use Meguiar`s High Volume Spray head which does a great job of distributing the product. The key is to use light, thin coats as opposed to one thick one.

Perhaps the surface was not free and clean of oils, engine residues or other dressings that were applied previously? I always clean the surface thoroughly before applying Engine Kote to allow a proper bond to take place. I know that if oil is present at all, no water based product will ahere to it.

Otherwise... :nixweiss

Tim

imported_vindaloo
08-09-2003, 04:37 PM
I bought APC+ & EK (which is expensive in the UK about $55 a gallon) & I`m disappointed as well. Can`t get it to spray evenly, should I be using a Megs spray head & if so which one?

topnotchtouch
08-09-2003, 04:45 PM
One thing that I have found that really helps prevent the beading is to dilute engine kote. The problem is that your sprayer has to really mist it to get a nice coat that won`t run or bead. Most sprayers I have found still throw out the odd huge dropletts which are what cause the beads and runs. I dilute mine 4 parts engine kote to 1 part water and that seems to take care of the problem. Play around with it and see if that helps.

Tim Lingor
08-09-2003, 05:24 PM
Meguiar`s High Volume Spray Head

Part# TOL 110803-12

This is the one that I use and have no problems!

You could dilute it as rjstaaf suggested but try this spray head first as I do not think you will need to dilute it.

Tim

topnotchtouch
08-09-2003, 05:33 PM
Thanks Tim I think I will give that sprayer a try. I have been hesitant to order any online without being able to try them first but, I`ll take your recommendation :xyxthumbs

Thanks

Tim Lingor
08-09-2003, 06:55 PM
Hey rjstaaf,

Try and get the matching 32 oz spray bottle that is silk-screened with the Engine Kote label.

Part #: D-9943

Cheers!

Tim