PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to say thanks and to ask

Kirath
07-19-2003, 12:36 PM
For some feedback. Thanks to all of you that answered my questions, really helped me decide on products and technique. I just did a complete detail to my car for a show comming up this sunday. My arms are like jello. And I say this, don`t know how I lived without a Porter Cable for so long. :D

Couple pics of it all done!

http://www.doodmonkeyradio.com/audi/pics/detail07-15-03/76-croof.JPG

-

http://www.doodmonkeyradio.com/audi/pics/detail07-15-03/75-croof.JPG

Stage I : Engine detail

Stage II: Interior detail

Stage III: Exterior detail

Stage IV: Final inspection / detail

I documented my entire experience on my msg board, if any of you would care to take the time to read and give me some feedback I would greatly appreciate it. I can still see some minor swirls and scratches on the clear coat at certain angles. Need to know what methods I should change / use to try and take care of those. Thanks!!!

http://www.audizine.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29805&FORUM_ID=57&CAT_ID=11&Topic_Title=A+Detailing+story+%2D+by+Kirath+UPDATE +3+%21%21%21&Forum_Title=4%2E+Auto+Detailing

SK2003TypeS
07-19-2003, 01:09 PM
Kirath, GREAT WORK !!! :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

Welcome to Autopia!!

I just got a PC and can`t wait to use it. Sorry, didn`t read through your entire post. Basically looked at all the pics. Good luck with the show!!

Accumulator
07-19-2003, 03:10 PM
Kirath- Nice job, both on the car and on your explanation/posts to your Audi forum (I gotta avoid that forum or I`ll be spending ALL my time online :D ).

Now that you`ve worked your paint with the PC and STILL find some swirls, I think you see what I meant about the Audi paint (clear) being sorta hard. Sorta makes you wonder how it got swirled in the first place, huh? Anyhow, next time just get more aggressive with it if you REALLY want to get it better or just live with it (a sensible real-world approach, especially while you refine your wash technique).

Now how do I get you to try a good synthetic between your AIO and the P21S :D

BTW, I would NOT follow your Audi forum poster`s advice about spraying WD40 everywhere under the hood!!

Kirath
07-19-2003, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I am not gonna do the WD-40 -> but hey, to each their own.

So what should I do between the AIO and the P21s? A synthetic sealer? I know Klasse makes a sealant, did`nt have anything like that on hand at the time.

I know I can get rid of the swirls with something like 3M IHG -> But thats just all fillers, what is the general attitude towards products like that on here? Any recommendations?

ryeh2o
07-19-2003, 04:34 PM
Nice job on all three areas. You did a great review on the products you used, and procedures.

Isn`t it nice to look at the results of your labour?

10 out of 10

Cheers!

JimmyS5600
07-19-2003, 06:09 PM
Super job,congrats! Best of luck at the show,let us know how you did.

Jimmy

drdetail
07-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Nice work, my new PC with menzerna should be here monday, now im really pumped to try it!

kermada
07-20-2003, 08:59 PM
Can you tell me what pads you used with the PC. I`m thinking about getting one, but I`m still fuzzy on what pads are used when. And as you can tell, I`m new to doing something other than Turtle wax.

Thanks

Deanski
07-20-2003, 09:24 PM
Yellow pad: Cutting pad used for heavy removal of oxidized paint or heavy swirls.

Orange "power-pad": A bit of cut/polish. Good for swirl removals

White pad: Swirl removal and polishing finish with glazes.

Grey pad: Finish pad used for very light glaze and or wax/sealant buffing or application. Can be used with fine polishes to really bring up shine, but takes time as it does not have any cut action at all and the product does all the work.

There are also "finger" pads in same format. Some have better results, but all pretty much same foam used.

Get a good backing plate as well. Makes a big difference. I used the one from CMA.

Search the forum on pads.

Regards,

Deanski

kermada
07-20-2003, 09:32 PM
Hey, Thanks. That is just the ticket.

So, if I have a newer car I probley will never need a wool pad? Not having seen anyone do the polishing, I have to tell ya, Not using a soft fuzzy wool pad to polish goes against what ever little knowledge about cars I though I knew. That is why I was so confused when reading the posts on this forum.

Thanks again.

Deanski
07-20-2003, 09:46 PM
NO WOOL PLEASE!!! Unless you are trying to level a paint or remove heavy wetsanding with a rotory, never even think about woll pads for todays finishes. Too easy to add more swirls and paint defects.

Stay within the foam pad usage with a PC. The PC is the most forgiving tool out there. Careful around edges as when they paint cars, some areas just do not get the same amount of paint/clearcoat. I do those areas by hand or "edge" the pad and let the product work the area. SOme guys tape those areas and go back by hand.

Again wool pads (Shlegiel) are used for paint defects or finish glaze of fresh paint from the oven.

Regards,

Deanski