PDA

View Full Version : Is this ok, IHG then #20

Chris2pher
07-19-2003, 12:03 AM
I am planning to detail my dad`s car. It has a lot of swirls but I don`t think I need DACP. Here is my plan:

1) Dawn Wash

2) #9

3) #7

4) IHG

5) #20

6) #26

7) S100

I am not quite sure about using IHG and then #20. Will #20 cure and bond ok with IHG? Please provide comments on plan also. Thank you all in advance. This is a wonderful community.

:wavey

Jngrbrdman
07-19-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Chris2pher

I am planning to detail my dad`s car. It has a lot of swirls but I don`t think I need DACP. Here is my plan:

1) Dawn Wash

2) #9

3) #7

4) IHG

5) #20

6) #26

7) S100

I am not quite sure about using IHG and then #20. Will #20 cure and bond ok with IHG? Please provide comments on plan also. Thank you all in advance. This is a wonderful community.

:wavey

Using #7 and IHG is like using the same product twice. They are basicly the same thing but made by different companies. They serve the same purpose. Either way, you can`t layer stuff on top of a glaze. The oils in the glaze will keep things from bonding. You have to decide if you are going to use a glaze or use a sealant. You can`t use both.

You aren`t planning to do that all in one day, are you? For best results, most products can use a full day to dry or cure. #20 is like that. Glazes are kind of like that too. I would wait at least several hours between layers.

rstype
07-19-2003, 12:55 AM
I agree with Jngr. #7 and IHG are both make-up products, and contain very, very fine (if any) abrasives. I would...

1.) Wash with regular car shampoo (#9 strips wax)

2.) #9 (wipe down with isopropyl alcohol to remove fillers and oils)

3.) #20 (let cure approx. a day after removal)

4.) S100 (using both #26 and S100 is redundant... both are waxes)

#9 is usually not enough to remove "a lot of swirls." Are you applying it by hand or machine?

Chris2pher
07-19-2003, 07:05 AM
The comments will save me some unnecessary work. I do not a have a PC. Alhough I am going to use Black&Decker`s (BP900) Random Orbit Polisher with 4000 OPM with #9. I know B&D is a like squirt gun compared to a PC. The rest will be by hand.

Do I really need to rub with isopropyl alcohol after #9 SMR2.0?

I am using S100 as a "wow" effect or that extra "pop" on the shine.

shaf
07-19-2003, 02:40 PM
FWIW, some people have been using products like #7 prior to #20 and they say it "works". I`m not sure you need to remove anything with alcohol before using #20, as I believe it contains light cleaners already.

Maybe try running a search for "polymer sealant glaze" in the last few months - hopefully this will turn up some debate over this.