PDA

View Full Version : Dealership paint protection

Threadhead
08-24-2004, 10:28 AM
This has always been a curiosity of mine, the paint protection packages that dealerships sell. You know the names: AutoButler, ArmorCoat, System 5, etc.

When I was in HS, we used to apply ArmorCoat when we prep`ed the new cars. It was a joke. We just sprayed this stuff from a can (no label BTW) and wipped it off. Took 10 minutes tops. The dealer sold it for $495 and customers had no choice as it was applied as soon as the car hit the lot. I know, I know, it`s a rip-off.

But that was years ago and I notice that dealer are still selling this suff (or forcing it customers is more likely) and when I asked them about they will defend it to the death. Of course they back it up with a warranty that they know no one will ever attempt to make a claim against. In the rare chance they do, they just `buff it out`.

My belief is that they are just resin type sealants, like EX-P, that they are purchasing from ArmorAll, Simonize, TurtleWax and rebranding them and selling them to dealerships at a ridiculous markup. But I have no proof.

So I`m wondering, has anyone done any real analysis of these protection packages? I mean actual durability tests, chemical analysis, etc.

brwill2004
08-24-2004, 10:55 AM
I believe most dealerships just apply a good quality polymer paint sealant, if that. Even the best paint sealants will probably not last even a year. A paint sealant has molecules that bond with the molecules in the paint. This bonding creates superior protection, but it is not a miracle shield by any means.

Beemerboy
08-24-2004, 11:46 AM
Its a rip moew than anything a way for them to make money with people that don`t understand paint protection

RUBigDog05
08-25-2004, 11:35 AM
I actually worked at a Chevy dealership this summer. What a rip off it is. They sold paint sealant and fabric protection. When I started working there my boss got mad at me one time because I was doing the roof of a Tahoe and another time I bent over to put paint sealant on a Cavalier. They only usually do the drivers door and hood. There were a few times we actually did the entire car and that was because it was for a friend of the dealership or the customer was actually back there watching us. Couple times the salesman wanted the car out as soon as possible so he would just bring it back and let it sit for a few minutes and tell us its supposed to be paint sealed but the "customer will never know" so we didn`t even touch it. I think its like $400 for both both sealant and fabric protection. Its such a rip off. When I got o buy a new car or know someone, I will tell them NEVER to buy that extra stuff. Its all profit to the dealer considering a gallon bottle of sealant or fabric spray only costs $30 a piece and that stuff lasts for months and months because its hardly used. I felt sooooooooo bad doing that but I got "talked" to a few times for trying to do a good job. ITs amazing how bad the customer service is once you step off the showroom floor or walk out of the finance office. The salesmen are all scandalous

Mark Waldron
08-25-2004, 01:30 PM
I worked at a dealership for 7 months. They are crooks! I`m not going to stereotype all dealerships, but buyers beware. A good, honest dealership is almost impossible to find. Let them sell cars and let us detailers apply the sealants, etc.

stainbuster
08-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Caveat Emptor

clean4u
08-25-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Mark Waldron
I worked at a dealership for 7 months. They are crooks! I`m not going to stereotype all dealerships, but buyers beware. A good, honest dealership is almost impossible to find. Let them sell cars and let us detailers apply the sealants, etc. Nicely said