PDA

View Full Version : When is a QD not a QD?

russ968
07-17-2003, 07:42 PM
Just spent the better part of the last 2 hours using search to answer a couple of questions with mixed results.

Seems there are a number of great uses for a QD…The question is -- Is there a single "product" that will:

1. Act as a lubricant for a clay bar

2. Quick spray on a PC pad to help lubricate prior to the pad loading up

3. Quick spray on an applicator pad to lubricate

4. Assist in the removal of AIO

5. Use with the removal of and between coats of SG

6. Act as an occasional QD

Seems abundantly clear that products with Carnauba, other waxes and silicones are out prior to AIO/SG. Might this be better split into two products?

Thanks,

Russ

Jngrbrdman
07-17-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by russ968

Seems there are a number of great uses for a QD…The question is -- Is there a single "product" that will:

1. Act as a lubricant for a clay bar

2. Quick spray on a PC pad to help lubricate prior to the pad loading up

3. Quick spray on an applicator pad to lubricate

4. Assist in the removal of AIO

5. Use with the removal of and between coats of SG

6. Act as an occasional QD

#4 and #5 are the ones you aren`t going to find. There isn`t a QD out there that will help remove Klasse. That requires polishing. You can`t remove wax or sealants by using a QD. Besides, if you used one that was strong enough to remove a sealant then it wouldn`t make sense to use it as an ocassional QD because it would obviously remove everything else too. Why wax and then QD with something that will remove the wax? You won`t find a QD that meets all of those parameters.

The other things you are looking for are qualities found in most of the QDs out there including just regular old soap and water. Nothing special is required to spray on a PC pad or hand applicator. Little more than soap and water is required as a minimal QD lube either.

C. Charles Hahn
07-17-2003, 08:18 PM
I think he`s talking about aiding in the removal of residue/haze, not actually stripping the product from the surface, Jngr ;)

and in that case, I would say any QD could fit the bill for this, its all a matter of trying them and seeing what works.

Jngrbrdman
07-17-2003, 08:24 PM
Ahhhh.... Yeah, that makes more sense. lol In that case I would say that you could use any QD that didn`t contain Carnauba. Sonus would be a good choice since you are using Klasse. Any non carnauba QD should be fine.

shaf
07-17-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

Any non carnauba QD should be fine. I agree. :)

Just close your eyes and pick one at Pepboys/Autozone/etc. :D

russ968
07-17-2003, 10:09 PM
Yes, Shiny that was my thinking and perhaps not my writing :o

Reading, Jimwh`s Klasse Instructions, he appears to favor the use of a lubricant w/Klasse.

Jngr, you`re a Klasse fan/expert. Do you ever use a lubricant with it?

Looks like I`m going to use Meg`s FI.

4DSC...looks like we`ll have to meet at Pepboys/AutoZone another time...:D

Thanks all for the input...Russ

KCPreki11
07-17-2003, 10:09 PM
You should use carnauba QD when QDing a car, preferably a WAXED car? And use a non carnauba QD when using the QD to aid in the removal of a product?

How do you know if a QD has carnauba in it, does it say?

Jngrbrdman
07-17-2003, 10:16 PM
Yup. It should say. The only reason you really wouldn`t want to use a carnauba QD is if you were worried about how it might mix with the wax you are currently using or if you were in the process of layering sealants. You can`t layer SG on top of carnauba so you wouldn`t want to use a QD with wax in it to aid in buffing off your layers.

I used to use Meguiar`s Quick Detailer to help in buffing off SG but now I use the two towel method and find that it works even better. I`m not a big user of QD. I keep some in the car for bird bombs, but that is about it. Only if I`m doing final detailing for a show on a car do I really use it that much.

KCPreki11
07-17-2003, 10:21 PM
I would like to see how much of a negative effect a QD with carnauba in would have on aiding with a sealant. Is there actually enough to stop the the sealing process....

Jngrbrdman
07-17-2003, 10:27 PM
Yes. Its enough to mess up the bonding process. If you use a carnauba QD and then try to apply a layer of SG then the durabilty of that layer is going to be compromised. There is no upside to using a carnauba QD while layering sealants so it is best to avoid them.

jaim
07-18-2003, 03:14 AM
Use Eagle One Wet, Wipe and Shine!

It`s the cheapest QD I have seen and it does not contain wax. What it has is flouropolymer. Compatible with both wax and synthetic sealants.

I was previously using Megs. Quick Detailer and Final Inspection before I switch to EO Wet, Wipe and Shine.... Works as good as the other expensive QDs around.