PDA

View Full Version : New Poster and water etching/spots/acid rain

SpeedyMCquicky
07-17-2003, 12:44 PM
First off just want to say what a amazing resource this forum is. last week I decided to detail my 99 SVT Lightning and 95 Triumph Super III, but after reading this forum on water etching and spots in the paint im a tad bit confused on how to continue.

I am going to zaino the truck and was glad to learn from this forum that the paint needs to be conditioned first before starting this process by removing water marks and swirls. So I set off with my claybar and removed all visible traces of water marks and other marks using the clay bar, then I really noticed by looking at the clear coat very close that some of the water marks are etched right in the clear coat.

My big question is that if these are etched from the surface down shouldnt I be able to feel them. After the clay bar the surface is as smooth as ever yet I still cannot feel any of these spots. Tried both by hand and with a zip lock bag over my hand.

Ive read about bad clear coat and so on in other messages so is there a quick way I can test to see if Ill be able to remove these by hand or atleast with a rotary buffer. There is no way ill use a regular buffer just yet since I dont trust myself with it.

Should I just get some swirl remover like Meguire`s 2.0 and/or scratchX and give that a shot by hand then using a safe buffer.

or is my clear basiclly hosed?

Another question, if its to hard for me to get these out by myself is anyone on this forum in MA, or knows someone that would just do a buff to prep for me to zaino the rest of the way?

Thanks in Advance

-Keith

imported_BretFraz
07-17-2003, 06:34 PM
:welcome to Autopia.

The best way to see what is really going on with your paint is to use a magnifier of some kind. Acid rain damage will look like little craters, literally etched into your clearcoat. If that`s the case it`ll be a serious challenge to remove them. The clear can be "levleled" using a rotary and some aggressive polish. It can also be wetsanded, actually sanding away the damage. But both processes are not without their negatives. UV protection is in the first layers of the clearcoat. Sand or polish away those layers and you could run into more problems down the road.

I have some pretty serious acid rain spots and have decided to leave them be. I`ve polished the paint as much as I want to and now just protect it with Zaino and live with the spots. If you can live with the spotting, that might be the best answer over the long haul.

SpeedyMCquicky
07-18-2003, 07:58 AM
Thank you, yea there is some great information here and good people. Just find that there is so much info, but thats a good thing.

I think ill just continue on with my detailing for this time and see what the end product is then make my call from there. Its mainly the hood with the issue. once I get some zaino on there I can see how things look. I can always go with a shaker hood ;) and repaint for around 800.00 and that will take care of things and give the engine some more cold air.

The trucks all clayed and tonight I start with a final wash then glossing up all the trim and then ZFX so ill pretty much know tommorow.

thx again

-Keith