PDA

View Full Version : I know its ben done to death, searched, andmy headache is even worse, Im buying a PC

drdetail
07-17-2003, 02:18 AM
Ive decided to get it from cma`s website, proper auto care, because it seems like the place where i can get everything in one box, and im willing to pay a bit more for the convenience. I`ve combed dozens of older threads but ive been getting so much contradictory advice from them i dont know what to buy. Ive narrowed it down to cma`s ultimate detailing machine package, which comes with the PC 7424, whcih also includes one 6 inch velcro back plate and a white polishing pad. Ive been using meg`s #9 by hand and gotten decent results with my swirls marks. They are visibly reduced by about half id say. So i guess the swirls are light to moderate. Would the white pad and some meg`s #9 be enough to tackle these swirls, and if not could you guys recomend which pad and perhaps another product to use for a more aggressive approach. The menzerna line seemed interesting.

shaf
07-17-2003, 02:44 AM
If you`re not sure exactly how bad the swirls are, you may want to try #9 first. Start off gentler by default. If that doesn`t work or you`re sure it`s beyond #9`s ability, DACP with a polishing (CMA white) pad seems to be a good combo that is a notch stronger while still leaving a fine finish. You probably know this already, but get more than 1 pad too. :D

drdetail
07-17-2003, 02:50 AM
Does cma sell dacp? I dont see it on the website.

Deanski
07-17-2003, 05:56 AM
You can get it directly from Meguiars.

DACP and others (http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/showproducts_template.cfm?SrcLine=PP&SrcCat=2)

Deanski

JimS
07-17-2003, 07:17 AM
I bought extra finishing pads so that I could have them ready to go should I need them. I bought 3 extras. I don`t figure on using the cutting pads much so I have only 1 extra of each of them. I also got confused with so much new information and bought the kit from CMA knowing that maybe I was spending a couple bucks more than the rock bottom price but I was also helping to support this website by doing so.

I use a finishing pad on almost everything just as a safety precaution.

imported_BretFraz
07-17-2003, 08:00 AM
You need a variety of pads and polishes to get results with the PC. There are no formulas or specific combinations. Most experienced users have numerous pads of different types and several types of polishes.

If you think about it, the more variety of pads and polishes you have, the more possible combinations you can use to fix problems with your paint.

For example, I have 9 different polishes and 15 pads of various types. I`m not suggesting you need all these items, just saying that you do need a combination of some of these items to get the most out of the PC.

Bill D
07-17-2003, 01:10 PM
I read here on Autopia that 3m PI III Machine Glaze is an alternative to DACP. i just got it and after first using Menzerna IP with the PC and yellow and orange pads, it did reduce some scratches I have on a black car by about 90% (I`m still shooting for 100% though) Definitely use a variety of polishes and pads to get the results you want. Good luck!

drdetail
07-17-2003, 04:46 PM
Today i bought the Pc 7424 with a 6 inch velcro plate, a white polish pad and cma orange pad, plus mezernas two polishes, does that sound like a good start?