PDA

View Full Version : metalic paints = less swirls

imported_matthew
07-16-2003, 07:05 PM
Does having a metalic paint with the metal flakes and all, lead to less swirls being seen?

I only ask because I just noticed this the other day, in the sunlight and at night in the light of street poles, etc, it seemed that paints with metalic paint didn`t show nearly as many swirls and that it required closer examination to see them.

Is this true?

imported_dookiebob
07-16-2003, 07:09 PM
That`s an interesting question...

I have a metallic blue/black car with metal flake in the paint but my swirls are still very noticeable. I think it depends on what kind of paint you have, and the lighting the car is in...

Sorry, I know that doesn`t really answer your question, but that`s the best I can do :nixweiss

-Bob

2wheelsx2
07-16-2003, 07:10 PM
True. The metallics hide swirls better than flat paint. Just think about it. Do you notices scuffs on a textured wall more, or on a flat white or black wall. The metallic flecks distract the eye, because the surface isn`t uniform. Also, the light doesn`t all reflect back the same way. That`s also why flat black and other flat dark colours give the best reflections. They reflect the light back all the same way.

2wheelsx2
07-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by dookiebob

That`s an interesting question...

I have a metallic blue/black car with metal flake in the paint but my swirls are still very noticeable. I think it depends on what kind of paint you have, and the lighting the car is in...

Sorry, I know that doesn`t really answer your question, but that`s the best I can do :nixweiss

-Bob

Bob, because it`s very dark, it`ll be more noticeable than other colours. However, it`ll still be less noticeable than a flat paint job. I bet it`s not as noticeable in direct sun, but only at low sun angles, or in gas stations with the sodium lights.

ahunt01
07-17-2003, 04:05 PM
I have a 91 baby blue F150 with a sparkles in the paint and it truthfully looks better than my 00 black civic swirl and scratch wise. I haul brush twice a year in that truck and wash and wax it once a year if I`m lucky. Last time I can recall waxing it was 2 years ago and it still looks amazing...

imported_Luster
07-17-2003, 04:51 PM
Black, of course, is the worst for showing swirls. And white and silver are the best.

I think it`s really more a function of the darkness of the color rather than whether it`s metallic or non-metallic paint.

I know this:

I`ll never have another black car. I love it, but HIIIIIIGGGHHH MAINTENANCE!

Lemonxxs
07-17-2003, 05:57 PM
the metallic in lighter color does seem to hide swirls more....

Jngrbrdman
07-17-2003, 06:14 PM
Light colors will always hide the best. Light metallic will be a close second. Any dark color will be tough to hide swirls on. Dark colors with metallic paint will hide better. The king of all colors has to be a silver metallic car. That color doesn`t show dirt or swirls. Its even fairly forgiving on door ding visibility. Either way, the darker the paint gets, the more swirls will be visible. Standard colors or metallic colors are the same. Relatively speaking I would guess that a black car shows as many swirls as a black car with metal flake compared to a solid silver color car or a silver with metal flake. Its all relative. A metallic black car will appear to have fewer swirls than a solid black car, but its still relative.

imported_Greg
07-17-2003, 06:52 PM
But oh my when the flat black looks good, its worth it.

gnahc79
07-17-2003, 07:00 PM
you asked for it :)

physics of color (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23157)

KCPreki11
07-17-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Bob, because it`s very dark, it`ll be more noticeable than other colours. However, it`ll still be less noticeable than a flat paint job. I bet it`s not as noticeable in direct sun, but only at low sun angles, or in gas stations with the sodium lights.

Are those what the lights in gas stations are called? And more info on them? I wish I could polish at the gas station some times....:bounce