PDA

View Full Version : Crap on the front end

Krafcik
07-15-2003, 03:27 PM
Ok, here is another problem i have. I drive a Frontier and it has the massive bug and crap magnet on the front end. What do you guys suggest to remove all the crap off the front end? I`ve tired mineral spirits and a regular sponge without much success.

Suggestions?

Chris

shaf
07-15-2003, 06:45 PM
Keep it waxed, try a bug and tar remover(?) :nixweiss and get that junk off ASAP. The longer you let it sit, the more grief it will cause you...

Unless the bugs are already etched in and embedded in the paint (pray not!) they should be coming off with either some water-based soap/cleaner/etc or some petroleum-based remover/solvent/etc., that`s just simple chemistry. You might have to soak them though. Good luck.

imported_BretFraz
07-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Bug guts are highly acidic. You need something alkaline or perhaps citrus-based to break the bond between the guts and the paint and plastic. I use a specific bug guts remover from Hi Temp Products and it works great. You might want to try one of those products like Orange Glo or Orange Blast or whatever they`re called. Mineral spirits usually don`t do much with bug guts as petroleum distillates don`t put a dent in acidic residue very well.

C. Charles Hahn
07-15-2003, 07:27 PM
I have also used (as a very last resort) Stoner XENIT! Cleaner to get etched bug guts off... its solvent and citrus based so I wouldn`t use it often but as a last resort and especially if you`re going to wash the car right away afterwards its ok in moderation.

Robert O
07-15-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Keep it waxed, try a bug and tar remover(?) :nixweiss and get that junk off ASAP. The longer you let it sit, the more grief it will cause you...

What bug and tar remover do you use man? I`ve got some Turtle Wax stuff, but it`s @#$@#.:angry

Accumulator
07-16-2003, 11:07 AM
Note that bug/tar removers will also strip your wax. I just use clay during the wash. Accumulatorette does road trips to TN (and points further south) and picks up some awful bug splatters this time of year. The clay takes them right off and, if I`m gentle enough, I don`t have to rewax. Just did her A8 after such a trip, no problems, no need to rewax.

Some people like the CMA bug-sponge, but you MUST get it thoroughly wet before using it or it`ll be scratch-city.

imported_garyo
07-16-2003, 12:59 PM
I have had great success with Porsche Tequipment Insect Remover. It can be purchased at CMA but you can find it cheaper at your local Porsche dealership or order it from Suncoast Porsche (they sell it cost +15%). It is a citrus based cleanser and I find it much easier to wash off than the petroleum/solvent based cleaners. It also comes with a sponge applicator/cleaner.

shaf
07-16-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Konowl

What bug and tar remover do you use man? I`ve got some Turtle Wax stuff, but it`s @#$@#.:angry Hmm, I`m still using some old OLD TW bug & tar remover left over from my father. It`s the runny solvent in a can but it seems to (still) work pretty well for me. :nixweiss

KCPreki11
07-17-2003, 10:31 PM
Dupont here.