PDA

View Full Version : Hand compounding: LIQUID OR PASTE?

Vincent231
07-15-2003, 03:01 PM
I`m not sure which of these I should order:

---1---

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/government/innovative_solutions/node_GSDDRJVVQJgs/root_GS3RBW6QFVgv/vroot_31S2JJ7584ge/bgel_3SF5KTRRJDbl/gvel_MWP370B3RSgl/command_AbcPageHandler/theme_us_innovativesolutions_3_0

3Mâ„¢ Perfect-Itâ„¢ II Rubbing Compound 39502, 18 oz Net Wgt, 6 per case - Our most versatile rubbing compound. It safely removes grade 1200 or finer sand scratches, other fine scratches, medium oxidation, coarse swirl marks or water spots and leaves a fine finish.

3M Id : 60-9800-2321-6

GTIN(UPC/EAN) : 0 00 51131 39502 2

Buyer`s Part Number : 39502

Excellent for hand compounding applications. Contains no wax or silicone and is safe for use on clear coats.

---2---

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/government/innovative_solutions/node_GSG4KJFHJ9gs/root_GS3RBW6QFVgv/vroot_31S2JJ7584ge/bgel_V6DM2N2CHHbl/gvel_MWP370B3RSgl/command_AbcPageHandler/theme_us_innovativesolutions_3_0

3Mâ„¢ Perfect-Itâ„¢ II Rubbing Compound 39002, 16 oz, 6 per case

Excellent for hand compounding applications. It safely and effectively removes grade 1200 or finer sand scratches, other fine scratches, medium oxidation, coarse swirl marks or water spots, and leaves a fine finish.

3M Id : 60-9800-2320-8

GTIN(UPC/EAN) : 0 00 51131 39002 7

Buyer`s Part Number : 39002

What`s the difference between a paste and a luquid? I`m leaning towards the paste.

And anyone have any idea where I can order this stuff in Canada? I live in Vancouver, but after calling a half dozen places (NAPA Vancouver, Lordco, Canadian Body Shop Supplies) everyone wants to order the 3.4L bottles or the quart bottles. All I need is enough for a small job!

C. Charles Hahn
07-15-2003, 03:13 PM
you`ll have an easier time with the liquid than with the paste IMO.... paste wax is fine to work with but paste compound could become a problem... especially if the abrasives arent thoroughly mixed into the block of compound.

Also you may want to do a search about compounds to find out more specifics about compounding.

What job are you using this for?

shaf
07-15-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Vincent231

And anyone have any idea where I can order this stuff in Canada? I live in Vancouver, but after calling a half dozen places (NAPA Vancouver, Lordco, Canadian Body Shop Supplies) everyone wants to order the 3.4L bottles or the quart bottles. All I need is enough for a small job! Hi Vincent, that`s surprising that no one can get this stuff. :confused: I know for sure the UAP/NAPA store in Richmond has both the liquid and paste versions. I`m also surprised that CBS doesn`t have it either (they seem pretty well stocked).

I haven`t heard of many people using the paste version, but I believe Brad B. (search under his name maybe) uses it for hand compounding. Like SLD said, what job is this for?

HTH

Vincent231
07-15-2003, 08:16 PM
Thanks Shiny, I guess I`ll go with the liquid version. It`s to level a paint repair on my rear bumper, so I thought that a paste would "hold" onto the vertical surface more easily than a liquid. I`ll also be compounding a repair to the bottom of my rear quarter panel, on my side mouldings, and on my side mirrors -- little nicks that I`ve filled with touch-up paint. The bumper is what I`m most worried about, since that repair was the one that was most involved and there are some 800 grade scratches around the new paint from the first primer sanding stage -- I plugged two little holes with bondo (the holes were from being run into in a tight parking spot), sanded the bondo (I`ll never use anything lower than 1000 again), primed it, painted it with a small paintbrush one coat a day over several days, let it cure for a week... now I`m ready to finish it. Here`s my original post for advice: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25765

4DSC: CBS *is* well stocked, but only in quart sizes. And the UAP/NAPA store I called wanted to order 3.4L sizes! I actually faxed them the details for the smaller 16oz bottles, but they need to be ordered in lots of 6, so I don`t know if they`ll be willing to do that for me.

Anyways, thanks for your thoughts. Keep `em coming!

Vincent

shaf
07-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Well if you don`t mind a drive down to Richmond, I`m saying that the NAPA store there should have them in stock, sitting on a shelf on the left side of the store right now.... best to call first just to make sure they didn`t run out though.

Vincent231
07-15-2003, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the tip Brian, I`ll call them tomorrow morning to make sure they`ve still got some. I actually have to go to Richmond tomorrow evening for an audition, so I`ll look them up and hopefully they`ve got stock.

I was also going to order some DF Towels, but now that I can find the 3M compound (and maybe even their Swirl Mark Remover, if I`m lucky) without having to place an order, I have no excuse for not getting to work this week. Any suggestions on where to find good towels for drying and for Zaino removal here in Vancouver (or Richmond)? I might have to start a new thread for this ;)

Oh, and do you think NAPA in richmond will carry a decent foam applicator for the compound and swirl remover? 3M makes one, but I guess another brand would do... Any suggestions on where to find a good one here in town?

Thanks again,

Vincent

shaf
07-16-2003, 01:29 AM
No problem Vincent. For local MFs Turtle Wax MFs (search or search w/ my name) have been pretty popular and I think the quality is surprisingly good for the price. Some people also like the 3M ones and I think Costco has some right now. Meguiar`s is fine if you don`t mind paying $12 each! :p There`s not much in the way of drying towels (waffleweaves) up here. I got mine from Autopia, and other people have had good experiences getting both WW and regular MF cloths from US vendors like JT Intl or Pakshak. Contact them for pricing. It`s cheapest to order in quantity of course.

I`ve never seen applicators at the Richmond NAPA. If you just want to use those typical yellow foam discs, I get my Megs apps from a Steveston hardware store, but the ACE Hardware store has a 2 pack (clones) for $1.60. Eagle One`s Express-it applicators (Canadian Tire) work alright too. Alternatively some people suggest a good cotton towel for hand polishing.

Vincent231
07-16-2003, 01:40 AM
Great, I`ve got plenty of leads to follow. What about MF cloths for compounding and swirl mark removing? Is that generally avoided?