PDA

View Full Version : Does Klasse AIO change color of paint?

baker999
07-15-2003, 02:54 PM
I applied AIO to my 03 Passat (blue anthracite) with a PC per the instructions and noticed a slight color change when I compared the half of the hood with AIO to the half without. It had a slightly smokey yellowish color which seemed to diminish some of the brilliance of the paint color. Has anyone else noticed this?

rstype
07-15-2003, 03:09 PM
Yea, from pink to red...

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/532half_klasse_aio2.jpg

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/532half-klasse.jpg

But about the smokey yellow color, I haven`t experienced it. It`s possible that AIO isn`t too clear of a product. Try wiping down a section of the Klasse`d hood with alcohol and check for the color again.

I hope it`s not permanent... :(

BillNorth
07-15-2003, 03:19 PM
I`ve never done an official side by side comparison of aio and no aio but I don`t think the pigment of my paint has ever changed. I`m sure I would have noticed. What I have noticed about aio is that it doesn`t seem to fully buff off at first. I can feel and see an oily layer on the paint even after i buff it off. This usually takes care of itself after a few hours. The oily layer seems to disipate on it`s own leaving me with a beautiful shine. I`m assuming the aio needs time to dry.

Patrick
07-16-2003, 12:38 PM
You may want to go with a cleaner now and see what happens....However, if you do elect to do so, make sure you seal it up afterwards.....AIO wont give you a lot of protection anyway, so it would be a good move to seal it, with or without a cleaner.....

Longevity depends on your weather of course.....

Jngrbrdman
07-16-2003, 02:30 PM
Everything changes colors if you get it wet or oily. Think about your clothes, for example. Does your red t-shirt not get darker red when it gets wet? AIO may tint the surface a bit, but that doesn`t change the actual color of the paint. It may change the appearance of the color, but its actually still the same color underneath. I think tinting the color a little bit is a good idea. It adds to the reflectiveness of the color. Darker colors reflect better and just that little bit of tinting can make a big difference.

BillNorth
07-16-2003, 08:27 PM
jngr,

i think baker`s real concern is that aio tinted his paint a "smokey yellowish" colour.

i agree with you that aio (and sg imho) tint the finish. but i`ve only noticed my paint get a bit darker, as well as have a candy like shine.

i`d be concerned as well if it yellowed the finish.

baker,

maybe you can tell use what procedure you used to aply aio (pads, speed), ouside temp, other products used during the detail (ie surface prep). it may assist us in determining what happenned.

Jngrbrdman
07-16-2003, 08:34 PM
I question how he sees yellow on the surface. If it were tinting the paint yellow then it should appear green because of the blue underneath. (I learned that from Zip Loc bags. ;)) I know #20 stains yellow, but that is because I have a white car and can see stuff like that. I`ve never seen Klasse stain anything and I`ve been using AIO as a base on my car for at least 2 years.

jaim
07-16-2003, 09:58 PM
Just my theory;

It might be possible that AIO was able to clean your paint surface thus exposing whatever that "yellow thing" on top of your paint surface. You might not noticed this before as your paint surface is not clean.

Something that colors yellow on top of the paint surface maybe sulfur oxidation or acid corrosion to some extent.

Try applying AIO on other surface and see if you have the same results.

BillNorth
07-17-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

I question how he sees yellow on the surface. If it were tinting the paint yellow then it should appear green because of the blue underneath. (I learned that from Zip Loc bags. ;)) I know #20 stains yellow, but that is because I have a white car and can see stuff like that. I`ve never seen Klasse stain anything and I`ve been using AIO as a base on my car for at least 2 years.

You`re right. I wonder how it tinted the paint yellow as well. Though the zip loc thing never came to mind. :p I`ve been using klasse just as long and have never encountered anything like this, nor have I heard of anyone else.

Scott301
07-17-2003, 12:48 PM
I spoke to Sal (Zaino) on the phone several weeks ago and he mentioned to me that AIO will yellow over time. Not sure if this is the case but since this is your initial application that wouldn`t apply to your situation. Hmmm, guess that makes my post irrelevant. :) I did have fun typing it though. I`ll go sit in the corner now.

Brad

baker999
07-17-2003, 12:50 PM
The paint did turn more green than the original blue (which is actually more like teal mixed with a dark grey). That`s why I said it has a slight yellow tint. I noticed it when I compared half of the hood which was done with AIO to the half I had not yet done.

The process I used was as follows:

- Wash with Meguiars Gold Class Wash

- Dried with micro fibres

- Polish with Einszett Paint Polish using PC at setting 4

- Polish with AIO using PC at setting 3.5 to 4

All removal and buffing done with micro fibre and no color change noted with 1Z paint polish. It was only after I applied AIO to half that I noticed the shift.

VetteToVair
07-17-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by BradNC

I spoke to Sal (Zaino) on the phone several weeks ago and he mentioned to me that AIO will yellow over time.

Consider the source;)

Jngrbrdman
07-17-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by stanger99

Consider the source;)

:lol Exactly. Why not go over to MacDonalds and ask if Whoppers are really all that good or if you should just have a Big Mac. :p

imported_FUEL
07-17-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

:lol Exactly. Why not go over to MacDonalds and ask if Whoppers are really all that good or if you should just have a Big Mac. :p

LMAO, Tony you been cracking me up as of late. Your above post about your clothing getting wet and changing colors was good too I never thought of it on those terms before.

BillNorth
07-17-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by BradNC

I spoke to Sal (Zaino) on the phone several weeks ago and he mentioned to me that AIO will yellow over time.

Oh Boy!!! I guess I should go out and buy me some Zaino now!!!

But seriously, Ron K had nothing but good things to say about Klasse when asked about it. And like Sal, he had a stake in it too. I trust Ron.