PDA

View Full Version : New member with detail questions!!

Absolut
07-15-2003, 12:15 PM
EDIT: I am also very new to the detail scene as well... This is my first new car and want to take care of it. Any tips or tools would all be helpful. Plus if I need any additional products such as polishes, other waxes, etc.. Please post away!

Hey guys...

I am a new member and I had a few questions for you detail guys. I have a fairly brand new 2003 Mazda6S, silver. I bought it back in January and now with the nice weather I have been obsessed with keeping it clean and looking good. However, I am having trouble finding a good wax and cleaner to use.

Recently I went and bought Meguiars deep cleaning car wash and also their wax product (not the spray-on). It does a pretty decent job but I have heard that there are some better products that are available.

The biggest hype I have heard is S100. I just haven`t heard a bad thing about it and the pictures seem to speak for themselves. I have also heard that Zaino is just as good.

Here`s what I want:

- Something that`s easy to apply and take off.

- Keep the road tar off! Since my car is so light I also have a problem with road tar always showing up. I hate having to pick at it with my fingernail everytime I wash my car. I figured with a good enough wax and a couple coats of it woudln`t alow the road tar to stick.

- Price isn`t a big deal... The S100 and Zaino are all within my price range for wax and cleaners.

- I also want some ideas on a good car wash soap... What`s the best?

- I just want an easy to use wax and cleaner that can keep my silver baby looking brand new for years.

I know that there will probably be several die hard Meguiars, Zaino, S100 fans.. But just give me your brutal, honest truth of what`s the best.

Thanks in Advance for all the ideas!

Absolut
07-15-2003, 01:26 PM
27 views and no replies?

Somebody has to have some ideas!

Like I said, I am brand new to detailing and need a few ideas for products to get me started. Let`s just say that I don`t have anything to do any detailing... I would need pads, towels, and of course the polishes and waxes... Thanks again!

rstype
07-15-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Absolut

But just give me your brutal, honest truth of what`s the best.

Okay, you`ve asked for my brutal, honest opinion, so I`ll give it to ya...

As far as sealants go, I love Zaino. An actual water-based polymer, it forms a lasting bond (meaning it catalyzes and crosslinks) with paint. It`s my product of choice on silver cars as it offers excellent clarity and a bright glow. In my opinion, Zaino is one of the few products that I consider a "true synthetic." Many other companies drop some amino-functional silicone into their oil-based wax, and voila, market it as a "polymer sealant." Since polymers can`t add protection when mixed into an oily product, I`m weary of those products. At the risk of sounding like a Zaino salesperson, I feel Zaino is the ultimate product for like-new silver cars. There are old-school acrylic polymers like Klasse, Liquid Glass, and Finish First, but Zaino is the newest and more advanced of the bunch.

CliffNotes: Zaino = manmade synthetic that lasts really long; best product for silver

S100/P21S is another excellent product. I love using it on darker paints, as it hides imperfections, adds depth and wetness, and is easy to work with. It`s my product of choice for black paint.

And the main reason why there are 27 views and no replies, is that many of your questions (like toweling and pads) have been asked and answered many times before. I could just give you a list of products to buy, but detailing is something that requires technique and understanding.

So please do a search - thanks! Try clicking on the "learn" picture on the top right... DavidB has written many detailing articles. And please don`t bump posts.

andriver
07-15-2003, 01:50 PM
Many member here use Klasse All in one and Sealant Glaze for prep. That is one combination. On my vehicle I have used Vanilla Moose products through Clearkote. I have not used Zaino, so I can`t comment on ease of use.

I have used both of the products mentioned above. I have found them easy to work with and durable. I also happen to use S100 as a topper for both products. I really like layering S100. It is easy to apply and remove. I am not sure about durablity because I apply it every other week.

I also wanted to mention that you may consider using a clay bar before applying any product.

BTW welcome to the forum....Andrew

Beason
07-15-2003, 02:04 PM
I use Meguiars Professional Line and recently purchased a PC. A PC is a must, and the type of wax u chose is mostly what fits you best and by your own opinion. Try some out and figure out what you like best. You can go from a single wash to wax or if you go all out you can wash, clay, remove swirls, polish, seal then wax or any combination between, Its a matter or preference, time and money. And welcome to Autopia

Absolut
07-15-2003, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I am going to try Zainos products first. After reading some of the articles I can use some of the Zaino sealants (since my car is a daily driver) and put the S100 over the sealant to bring out more of the shine.

I have also read some of Zainos how-to`s and they also say to use Dawn before the Clay bar but I think a good washing with the Meguairs GC wash should be just fine.

As far as swirl marks go.. I don`t see any of them yet. Maybe it`s just dumb luck or that my car is still pretty new that it just isn`t old enough to get swirl marks. I am not too sure yet...

imported_Intermezzo
07-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by BW

It`s my product of choice on silver cars as it offers excellent clarity and a bright glow. In my opinion, Zaino is one of the few products that I consider a "true synthetic." Many other companies drop some amino-functional silicone into their oil-based wax, and voila, market it as a "polymer sealant." Since polymers can`t add protection when mixed into an oily product, I`m weary of those products.

S100/P21S is another excellent product. I love using it on darker paints, as it hides imperfections, adds depth and wetness, and is easy to work with. It`s my product of choice for black paint.

:bow :bow :bow especially the part about being a true cross-linking product!! Another BW-Gem!

GreenArrow
07-15-2003, 02:57 PM
Here`s what I use on my 2003 VW Jetta 1.8T (color Alaska Green). I wanted products that were easy to use and that kept my car looking new or better than new without the artificial, plasticky look. And of course I wanted to have fun detailing the car, so that means no cheap stuff that would the task harder than it needs to be:

Wash -- Meguiars Gold Class shampoo or P21S shampoo

Clay -- ClayMagic with Meguiar`s Quik Detailer

Surface -- P21S GEPC, then Klasse AIO, then P21S carnuba

Wheels --just soap & water, P21S wheel cleaner for stubborn dirt

Tires --Meguiars Endurance gel

Interior --303 protectant

Leather --Lexol conditioner & cleaner, 303 protectant

Carpet/Rug/Fabric headliner --303 Rug & Carpet

Glass/Tint --Invisible Glass w/MF glass cloth

Clear plastics --Plexus

Exterior rubber/vinyl trim & wheel wells --303 protectant

Engine --P21S Total Auto Wash, 303 protectant

Applicators:

sponges (MF, terry, & foam), MF towels, Absorber, wheel/tire scrub brush, chenille wash sponge, two wash buckets

For scratches/swirls (mostly spot treatments):

PC7424 with CMA orange power pads, white pads, grey pad

Menzerna IP & FP

Meguiar`s Scratch X -- for spot treatments done in a hurry

Here`s stuff I want to try next (hey, there`s always room for improvement):

Sheepskin wash mitt (the one sold at Target)

Klasse SG

BTW, I`m a detail newbie, too. I bought all this stuff over the course of 2 months. Before I got my new VW, I was just into regular car washing, including automatic car washes. But not anymore! Especially after reading up on these boards and checking out online detail stores like CMA, ********, Autopia, PakShak.

:p

shaf
07-15-2003, 06:35 PM
Hi Absolut, welcome! :welcome

As said, be sure to check out the resources already available to you, and to use the Search function - it sounds like you are already. :) Proper washing/drying technique is very important.

If your car is brand new, you may not need this fabled PC device if your paint is still in very good condition. Check for swirl marks by looking at the sun`s reflection, under the streetlamps at night, or the gas station lights (ouch!). Even though the car is so new, it still may need claying - you`ll have to inspect it by feel and see.

I`m not a Zaino user, but I`m not sure if anything (even Zaino) will stop road tar.... I think that stuff will eat through anything, but it might depend sometimes and I`m not sure about this.

Accumulator
07-16-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Even though the car is so new, it still may need claying - you`ll have to inspect it by feel and see.

I`m not a Zaino user, but I`m not sure if anything (even Zaino) will stop road tar.... I think that stuff will eat through anything, but it might depend sometimes and I`m not sure about this.

Absolut- Welcome to Autopia. We have a silver MPV. Its paint seems good and hard, no swirls after over a year and I DON`T baby it.

DO clay it, if you haven`t already. I used both ABC and clay on ours when new. Silver shows "rust blooms" from imbedded ferrous deposits something awful, so I really urge you to do this, even if you can`t detect a need for it.

We always have a lot of road resurfacing in our area. I use the K twins on our MPV and tar isn`t really a problem. I GENTLY spot-clay when I wash and that takes the tar right off without seeming to diminish my protection (I only do a "full detail" on this vehicle once or twice a year, so I`d notice). The trick is to get to the tar before it`s on there too long and be VERY gentle with the claying. If you`re NOT gentle enough, no biggie, just give those areas another coat of whatever protective product you`re using. BTW, this approach works great for bug splatters, too.