PDA

View Full Version : Hazy/Cloudy paint along with Swirls

twisterspecial
07-15-2003, 08:49 AM
My father in law restored his 1967 Camaro about 7 years ago. When he restored the car, he painted it with Lacquer (Red) with a Lacquer clear coat. The car has been sitting, covered in his garage since the car was painted. In a few weeks, he is going to be selling the car. When I looked at the car the other day, the paint had a Hazy/cloudy look in the paint along with numerous swirl marks. He lighty buffed the paint about 7 years ago and the paint feels smooth. I have an older orbital craftsman buffer, and I thought about trying to first wash/dry the car, and then attack the Hazy/Cloudy look along with the swirl marks. I am trying to get the car to look at it’s best in order to sell it. I use Maguiars products myself, and thought about first trying the Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner, then try a swirl remover, then follow up with the Medallion Protection wax. I have been thinking about purchasing a PC orbit polisher (7424) and trying different products. My question is, should I follow my original plan, or upgrade to the new polisher and try different products?

Thanks,

Mike

shaf
07-15-2003, 02:36 PM
Hi Mike, and :welcome

I think the steps of using the swirl remover and Medallion Cleaner are a bit redundant. I`ve never used Medallion, but from what people say, it`s fairly strong for a "pre-cleaner", so I would try it or the swirl remover and see if that gets you results. If not, move up to something like DACP or fine cut.

If you can afford to get a PC and the needed accessories for it, then do so - it makes a great long-term buy IMO. Check out the thread in my Sig and read Steve`s thread linked near the top.

It couldn`t hurt to try by hand or with your Craftsman, but it`s not quite the same. That is not to say you cannot get results by hand of course. Good luck!