PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Black Car Owners - What do you think?

93LSCOUPE
07-15-2003, 12:54 AM
Hey Guys,

I`m learning more and more invaluable from you guys everyday, but I still don`t know enough to make my final decision. You guys are great.

Attention black car owners!!!

I have a Black 1993 Acura and the paint is in good condition, however there are swirl marks in the paint. I plan on doing everything by hand.

I already have MF towels, Z1 Z2 Z5 and Z6.

1. What do you guys with black cars find works best with removing swirls?

What kind of pads do I need to apply these swirl removers?

I`m looking for that mirror like reflection I have seen in so many of your guy`s posts.

2. Do you think I should stick with Zaino or try something else??? I appreciate any opinions you may have.

Feel free to tell me what you guys think will work best on a black car. thanks!!

VetteToVair
07-15-2003, 01:07 AM
You should at least try zaino again once you remove the swirls. Zaino with swirls is much different than zaino without swirls. IMO you should read up and buy a couple other products to compare to zaino just for the heck of it.

Removing swirls by hand - you`re in for a chore. Search for advice under Scottwax. He does everything by hand.

imported_Luster
07-15-2003, 08:03 AM
I use Z5 twice per year and Z2 every 1-2 months.

That`s probably overkill, but my car looks great!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p8da3f462ff22f18bf1e2a66c5c41891d/fbc45e45.jpg

paco
07-15-2003, 08:26 AM
Swirl removal been discussed in a great many threads.

Depends on the severity but highly touted products include:

Dual Action Cleaner Polish

Perfect III Machine Glaze

Swirl Free Polish

3Ms SMR for dark cars

Finesse It II

Intensive Polish

Pads. Usually a cutting pad with DACP followed by a polishing pad with SFP should do the trick nicely.

The key really is to work work work the product! Most people stop way to early and then end up with hazing, difficulty removing the product etc.

Zaino will do nothing for swirls etc. It`s a final step product to provide long last protecting and is excellent at bringing out gloss, slickness and reflectivity.

Personally, I`d go with a cutting pad and DACP. Polishing pad with SFP (if needed), wash, Zaino Z2 with ZFX. 3 coats and enjoy.

If you`re up for a bit more work, then

DACP, SFP (if needed), Vanilla Moose, Wash, Zaino Z2 with ZFX x3, S100/GC Wax/P21S

Either way, after you`re done. Sit back and enjoy for 6 months+ and repeat. If you`re like us, then layer Zaino monthly - if you have enough time that is... which I don`t seem too lately :-(

Paco

93LSCOUPE
07-15-2003, 09:54 AM
Paco,

Thanks for the information! Where can I get the pads you just mentioned? The cutting and polishing pads? Also where can I get DACP and SFP?

And what do you think about the depth and warmth of Zaino? I`ve heard that some people think it lacks depth. How does it compare to other products? What do you guys think?

Do other products out there give better depth and warmth than Zaino???

Thanks guys!

93LSCOUPE
07-15-2003, 10:40 AM
Has anyone tried UPP or any other stuff on black cars? What do you guys think works best???

Let me know. Thanks!

VetteToVair
07-15-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 93LSCOUPE

Has anyone tried UPP or any other stuff on black cars? What do you guys think works best???

Let me know. Thanks!

I think UPP looks great on black cars. But what looks great to me might not be so great for you. The only real way for you to know is try it for yourself. I think Dwayne at premiumautocare sells little sample packages of UPP. IMO it`s worth buying the sample and giving it a shot. If Sal sold little sample bottles of the new zaino, i would try it out.

93LSCOUPE
07-15-2003, 03:52 PM
ok guys,

I`ve taken a look at S100 and P21S and they look very similar?

The packaging looks very similar. Anyhow, I have a black car so what do you guys think would give it the Deepest depth and warmth??

Please post away. Thanks!

Also, can anyone post a link to where or tell me where I can buy DACP, SMR and the cutting and polishing pads?

Thanks! I wanna get started as soon as I can!

2wheelsx2
07-15-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by stanger99

I think UPP looks great on black cars. But what looks great to me might not be so great for you. The only real way for you to know is try it for yourself. I think Dwayne at premiumautocare sells little sample packages of UPP. IMO it`s worth buying the sample and giving it a shot. If Sal sold little sample bottles of the new zaino, i would try it out.

I second that. UPP looks fantastic on black. Another combo which would look great is a glaze like Mother`s or Meguiar`s #7 and then a good non-cleaner wax like Mother`s, #26, or S100. It`ll give the paint a nice warm glow, but won`t be as reflective as Zaino.

ofelas
07-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Nothing fancy, just Zymol Auto wash + Zymol Cleaner Wax; this is the FIRST time my truck`s gotten a handwash/handwax:eek:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/11749frontal-med.jpg

Zealot
07-15-2003, 04:32 PM
I`ve learned that a daily-driven black car will never be perfect. It can be totally swirl free after a polish/Dawn wash/Zaino session, but wash it once and you`re bound to put some swirls in it. Still, since you`re on here there`s a pretty good chance that even with a few minor swirls (like my car has in the hood), your car will look better than 99% of all black cars out there :)

Buck-O
07-15-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Zealot

I`ve learned that a daily-driven black car will never be perfect. It can be totally swirl free after a polish/Dawn wash/Zaino session, but wash it once and you`re bound to put some swirls in it. Still, since you`re on here there`s a pretty good chance that even with a few minor swirls (like my car has in the hood), your car will look better than 99% of all black cars out there :)

Hehe, thats so true, i park in a park and ride to comute to work each day. And at least once a day someone looks at me and says...WOW, that car looks so nice...and i look at them with a funny look and im like "Are you kidding, ive got swirls all over everywhere, water spots here, and dust there.." and they just kinda slowly back up and give me a funny look of "ok, your a freak", and walk on by.

Seriously though, a well kept black car will turn heads, and people will notice it.