PDA

View Full Version : Yet another s100 vs z6 test !

s2skimon
07-14-2003, 08:33 PM
Hi all,

Well I did yet another test today between z6 and s100 Q&D

NOTE: I have mulitple coats of z2, z5 and s100 paste on my car.

1 MF towel was used for each.

I found the z6 produced little or no swirl marks, where as the s100 produced a whole wack of "very fine" ones but you would have to really look up close in certain lighting conditions.

However, the shine of the s100 produces is still far better I find, compared to the z6.

Z6 tends to "lighten my silverstone s2000" and make it more sebring silverish unlike the s100 which makes it a helluva lot shiny and deeper.

Is there a way to have the s100 NOT produce swirl marks as it`s really difficult trying to keep the MF towel clean when it has grime on it. ?

And i assume its` the built up grime causing the "fine swirl" marks ?

Also, I assume that the thicker texture of the s100 requiring more "elbow grease" also plays a part.

can anyone concur this ?

thanks for reading

s2ksimon

Deanski
07-14-2003, 08:50 PM
Ok, this was advise from Sal Zaino.

Once you polish your finish, you MUST wash the finish of all the oils left behind by the polish. All polishes have some form of oils, (petroleum Distillates) used as binders or flowing/lube agents.

This way, Zaino Z5 or Z2 will bond to the paint.

I`m guilty of not doing it myself, so lesson learned and thanks Sal!

The new Z5 (white bottle, banana color polish) seems to do better with very minor swirls, but it takes several coats to be effective. It`s not a one-coat wonder. Best to remove swirls B4 Zaino anyway.

The other issue was "topping" Zaino with carnuba. The oils/silicon used in waxes try to migrate to the paint, and will start to penitrate the Zaino. Yes it looks nice, but it`s just oils on top of Zaino anyway when you come down to it.

In doubt, ask Sal directly.

Regards,

Deanski

s2skimon
07-14-2003, 08:54 PM
i have mulitple layers of the new z2 and z5, hence my question.

It seems the s100 detail spray creates a better shine, but undoes what the z5 just did :-( < sigh >

Deanski
07-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Just use the Z6 over Zaino Z5/Z2 from now on and you may be OK. Ask Sal if it may be penetrated yet.

Yea, I loved the way Souveran looked over it, but now I know better. The new Zaino seems to have a better shine to it. It just keeps getting better with each time Sal updates the formula. He may hit on the right combo soon, but this new Z5/Z2 is getting very close!

Regards,

Deanski