PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with dealerships

ABCDetail
08-23-2004, 07:59 PM
I`ve noticed that a good number of detalers on these boards have done work with dealerships, but all the dealerships I have talked to have said they do all thier detailing in house. Do you guys deal with used car places? How do you entice the dealerships to utilize your services? And are they as tight with the money as I`ve heard? Thanks!:)

Woob
08-23-2004, 08:04 PM
I`ve heard that some dealerships are extremely high demanding and aren`t lenient on pricing at all. But if you find good dealerships that actually appreciate what you do I`m sure they will keep using your services and fund you graciously.

PS. Gimme a call when ya get a chance!

jimmybuffit
08-23-2004, 08:29 PM
Dealers have their own crew to wash, wax and prep both new and used cars. Their lack of ability to finish black cars, and other problems, are where your skills may be valuable. They`ll still be stingy (it is their job to keep costs low...) I don`t want dealer business, but I`m happy to fix their problems, at my realistic prices.

Jim

Phil
08-23-2004, 09:38 PM
I couldnt say it any better jimmybuffit, Ive actually had customers of mine buy cars from dealerships and bring them to me to have them detailed the same day.
I stay away from dealerships, they are steady business, but too cheap and too demanding.
if anyone decides to detail cars for a dealership, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND a written contract.

Jngrbrdman
08-23-2004, 09:59 PM
I`ve done work for a few smaller dealerships. I give them a little discount for volume, but I require that I get at least three cars when I go there. If I`m going to set up at a dealership for the day then I want it to be worth my while. So far it has worked out. 3 or 4 cars at about $80-$120 per car works out to be a good day. I am capitalizing on a supply and demand issue. They demand the cars be perfect and the supply of detailers that will bend over backwards for them is limited. Most of them I have gotten through referrals. Either one of my customers traded in a car to them or I detailed the dealership owner`s neighbor`s car. lol Its funny how opportunity knocks sometimes...

Hawaiianelement
08-24-2004, 01:15 AM
One of the bigger Honda dealerships pays $75 for a detail from close by shops that do quick ( half-a**) work . The Mgr. has called me to do tricky problems and use my extractor . When I told him my prices he kinda studdered but said O.K. He hasn`t called me back since. I`m sure its the prices ..I hope! LOL

shotime
08-24-2004, 05:31 PM
I work at a dealership and get paid what I would charge them anyway. There is only one half assed detail shop in town that charges $100+ per vehicle so I beat it by a little and got hired on the spot. I don`t do perfection details but I do a better job for a better price than the other shop. I`d like to keep the account when I leave just because mobile detailing isn`t a 12 month job in WNY and having some dealer accounts that will let me work indoors will provide me with enough income to get through the winter. So look at a dealer account this way, it`s not a money maker, but it`s steady income.

Hawaiianelement
08-25-2004, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by shotime
I work at a dealership and get paid what I would charge them anyway. There is only one half assed detail shop in town that charges $100+ per vehicle so I beat it by a little and got hired on the spot. I don`t do perfection details but I do a better job for a better price than the other shop. I`d like to keep the account when I leave just because mobile detailing isn`t a 12 month job in WNY and having some dealer accounts that will let me work indoors will provide me with enough income to get through the winter. So look at a dealer account this way, it`s not a money maker, but it`s steady income.

Good point shotime..:) :) :)