PDA

View Full Version : Is using a nickel dime polisher better

rabbi
08-23-2004, 07:35 PM
than doing it by hand? I`m going to do my father-in-law`s car Wednesday. From claying to sealing. My f-i-l told me yesterday that one of his grandsons is bringing over his polisher for me to use. It`s a cheap one. Should I use it or just continue detailing cars the way I always have, by hand?

Bill D
08-23-2004, 07:38 PM
I used those kind for a long time before I knew what a PC was, always worked fine for me minus removing defects, it does cut back on fatigue

jaybs02
08-23-2004, 07:45 PM
I was using one up till this past weekend (been using one for over 20 yrs). Finally got a PC :jump.

I always got very nice results even when using OTC products.
If it cuts back on the amount of time you spend doing it, and it doesn`t cost anything whats the harm??
Do a panel and see if you like the results. If not, do it by hand...
No harm...No foul.

"J"

dr_detail
08-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by rabbi
than doing it by hand? I`m going to do my father-in-law`s car Wednesday. From claying to sealing. My f-i-l told me yesterday that one of his grandsons is bringing over his polisher for me to use. It`s a cheap one. Should I use it or just continue detailing cars the way I always have, by hand? Never know untill you try it.... At first it might not seem all too much quicker, but it`ll give ya a taste of what you`ve been missin -- and might just spark ya to move up to the next level.

rabbi
08-23-2004, 07:56 PM
I`ll try it if it comes with the pads. These boys aren`t too organized. I`ve been thinking of a PC or Cyclo. Been saving my coins.

jaybs02
08-23-2004, 08:23 PM
Save your pennies you won`t be sorry...
Don`t forget Santa is coming soon too.

"J"

CharlesW
08-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Should I use it or just continue detailing cars the way I always have, by hand? FWIW, it is hard to beat a system that has been working for you.

The following is an excerpt from a post I made quite some time back.
"Several years back, I purchased a Wen 10" orbital buffer. It had an amperage rating of over 3 amps, but I don`t remember the exact rating. The only reason I mention it is to point out it was not really lacking in power. I used it some for the first 2 - 3 months I owned it and after that it stayed in the box, unused, for several years. This summer, I tried it again. Back in the box and then given to a friend. It was more hassle than it was worth. Changing the bonnets was a PIA."

Since then I have purchased the PC, and other than swirl removal, there really isn`t been anything I couldn`t have accomplished with hand application. It is a good thing to have, but given the products I use most often, AIO and UPP, not, IMO, a necessity.

Charles

Big Leegr
08-24-2004, 08:52 AM
As alluded to by Charles, find out what bonnets they have. Do they have enough? Locally there are 3 types-Final buffing (synthetic wool), waxing/polishing (terry cotton-not plush, could induce swirls depending on products/technique used), and a "paper-type" applicator bonnet (basically for applying final wax, as there is no nap to it.) There are also foam bonnets, but these aren`t usually in the "starter pak", so unless they`ve decided to diversify, chances are good they won`t have one. None of these are of particularly high quality (for concourse finishes), but if you are using it on "beaters" that aren`t going to be cared for afterwards, the owners probably won`t see anything wrong. If you were to be using a 1-step, using a buffer can let you work the product more evenly, longer, and result in a thinner coat to buff off, while saving your shoulders etc.
As mentioned, it won`t remove marring, but it also isn`t likely to destroy anything either (I`m saying "likely" because there`s always somebody that can find a way of screwing up something.)
I would consider trying it, as long as you`ve got some clean bonnets available. I`ve used them before and they can save you some effort. And as mentioned before, if you don`t like it, you don`t gotta keep using it.

CharlesW
08-26-2004, 09:16 PM
than doing it by hand? I`m going to do my father-in-law`s car Wednesday. From claying to sealing. My f-i-l told me yesterday that one of his grandsons is bringing over his polisher for me to use. It`s a cheap one. Should I use it or just continue detailing cars the way I always have, by hand? Hey Rabbi:
How did the detail of your f-i-l`s car turn out? Did he take his daughter home with him to get her away from the crazy car guy? :D

Charles