PDA

View Full Version : Some help please

CaffeineFan
07-14-2003, 05:01 AM
Hi folks,

I am kinda new to this whole `detailing` thing lol so go easy on me.

I recentlyish bought a 2.5ltr twin turbo Lexus Soarer coupe. 10 year old with paint work to match. Now at some point I am gonna respray it Kandy Orange but for now its the standard VERY dark mettalic green/jade.

I noticed swirls in the paint work but can live with that for the now (till the respray) but wondered on maybe getting a few tips on outside beautification.

I tried Zymol cleaner (easy and smells good) and then the cleaner wax (liked it) but want to progress to something a little more hardcore.

I am doing everything manualy (no buffer machine) and want to know if Klasse AIO followed by Klasse SG is a good way to go?

Couple of other queries regarding those two if ya`s dont mind...

Klasse AIO - easy enough for use by hand?

Klasse SG - can you layer it to produce a better overall quality of shine?

What products would the pro`s recommend to put on and take off these two using just my hands?

Can I get either Klasse AIO or SG in the UK at a store or will I have to order online...?

Phew !

Hope this is ok to post here and that someone doesnt mind spending the time to answer - I read a lot about the products already but I am a halfwit so help me out lol.

Thank you folks.

imported_zenhog
07-14-2003, 06:15 AM
The two can be done by hand, it depends on what you`re asking of the AIO. More aggressive cutting needs a machine though. I used it as the swirl remover this weekend as I had none and it worked fine, but that was with the PC.

Many people talk about layering SG, esp for element protection (winter, etc)

There is a deal on this site for the two of them plus some towels, look for it.

If the moderator doesn`t move this thread to the "Autopia University" then here`s a hint - these types of questions go in that section, where they contain us "newbies" to one spot so we can be easily assisted (I guess) lol. Here`s the opening thread to all forums that lays out how these forums work and where to post.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13595

Good luck!

C

butchdave
07-14-2003, 07:42 AM
Hi,

If you are looking for something that can be used by hand and is easily available in your local shops then you should try the Autoglym line. Its very popular in the UK especially in the concours world, so you can be sure it works.

OK it may not be the best but its a great start. Comes in two parts like the Klasse, Super Resin Polish for the cleaning and then Extra Gloss. Like Klasse its a polymer solution. You can layer it - I like to do two coats of SR (mainly to make sure I have not missed anything) and then a couple of coats of EG. With EG by the way, Autoglym recommend at least a few hours before you buff off for best results, but it works OK as soon as its dry.

If SR isn`t aggresive enough then try the Paintwork renovator. One word of warning, its very important to clay before using something like SR (aside from good practice) as I have found that anything you don`t remove with SR gets sealed in and clay afterwards won`t touch it!

Of course you can`t buy clay in the shops here, so you will need to buy that online.

Blue-Sun
07-14-2003, 07:45 AM
www.zainostore.com

give it a try. . .kinda like the Klasse twins. . .

butchdave
07-14-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by agroupuk

Now at some point I am gonna respray it Kandy Orange but for now its the standard VERY dark mettalic green/jade.

You might just change your mind about that one - dark green is going to give you reflections you could shave in - Kandy Orange is very attention getting but you just won`t get the same shine :)

butchdave
07-14-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by WRXemALL

www.zainostore.com

give it a try. . .kinda like the Klasse twins. . .

http://www.viper-lifestyle.de/indexengl.html

for Europe - even if you could import from the US, the postage would kill you

Decca
07-14-2003, 04:05 PM
Just as important IMHO are the products used to apply and remove the Autoglym is the foam pads and as many MF towels as you can get.

Use the foam pads to apply and the MF to remove.

When you say a respray, do you mean a full strip down ie remove engine etc?

shaf
07-14-2003, 06:24 PM
Hello agroupuk, welcome! :welcome

Butchdave gives pretty good advice for you. :up Most people in North America like to use products sold by 3M and Meguiar`s for paint correction, and something like Klasse is easier to obtain. I don`t know if any or which Meguiar`s products are sold in the UK, but as far as I know there is nothing wrong with Autoglym products. Try running a search here for some of the products Dave mentioned. I might do that as well if I were in your position. I`ve never used those products but between the Autoglym SRP and Renovator you will probably be able to knock down those swirls and remove any oxidation (if applicable). It is up to you to judge how much damage needs fixing, but start off milder than you think if you`re unsure. Be sure to check out the Learn! link at the top.

I understand the Autoglym "twins" don`t smell as nice as something like Zymol though. ;) Good luck.