PDA

View Full Version : What`s the best gizmo you got for detailing?

imported_zenhog
07-13-2003, 09:57 PM
After a full day on a PC, my vote hands down is for the pneumatic adjustable little rolling mechanic`s stool. $24 at walmart. It hurts to think about all the rush efforts I put in whenever I was working in low sections on the car. Now I can sit there and take my sweet perfectionist time.

What`s your best gizmo you use in your detailing efforts?

imported_FUEL
07-13-2003, 10:26 PM
Yeah I would have to say that the creeper seat that I bought from Griots Garage works the hardest besides Detail Girl when we are detailing. She worked her cute little butt off for me this weekend! Thank you DetailGirl I love ya! She is my best gizmo!

Onehole
07-14-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by zenhog

What`s your best gizmo you use in your detailing efforts?

Thats easy....EZ Up Canopy.

When preparing for a concours event the EZ Up Canaopy allows me to choose when I work. It also greatly increases the available time as well.

Before, the only time I got shade was before 8am and after 4pm. This makes it very diffcult to prep a car.

imported_Custom Detail
07-14-2003, 06:07 AM
OK.....what is DetailGirl?

Pats300zx
07-14-2003, 09:12 AM
Thats easy....EZ Up Canopy.

JB...got any more info on it?????

Onehole
07-14-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Pats300zx

JB...got any more info on it?????

Believe this is the one I got http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=product%2Easp&catid=114&subid=858&hierid=1914&prdid=10012416&log=

This one is 10x10 and not quite big enough for my Boxster, but does the job well enough. Depending on the angle of the sun and availability of natural shade, 10 x10 is enough to cover the car.

imported_zenhog
07-14-2003, 03:09 PM
I`ve got the same one but the problem is the size and locaiton of of the shadow it throws. For the time periods when the sun is relatively directly overhead it`s fine, but between 8am and 11 and 2:30 and sunset it`s just about useless since the shadow is normally angled to the outside of the canopy.

stuart hicks
07-14-2003, 05:08 PM
My eyes 1st my hands 2nd.

Jngrbrdman
07-14-2003, 05:21 PM
My PC is the best gizmo. I don`t know if that counts. My two 500w halogen lamps are really fun gizmos too. Other than that I just use the same tools everybody else does. No creepers for me though. I haven`t felt the need for one just yet. I`m sure I would want one if I ever used one. I know I was wishing for one while doing my door jambs last week. I would need an adjustable one. I`ll keep my eyes open for one. It sounds like it would be useful.

Onehole
07-14-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by zenhog

I`ve got the same one but the problem is the size and locaiton of of the shadow it throws. For the time periods when the sun is relatively directly overhead it`s fine, but between 8am and 11 and 2:30 and sunset it`s just about useless since the shadow is normally angled to the outside of the canopy.

I know what you mean, but that is when I use one of the side walls :) Shades no problem then.

imported_zenhog
07-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by JB in Irvine

I know what you mean, but that is when I use one of the side walls :) Shades no problem then.

yeah, I wish i got mine with sides. Maybe I should put up a tarp....

And Jrng - Adjustible is the way to go. $24 at walmart.

Then again, when Iwas as young as you I didn`t need one for stooping either...

C

Accumulator
07-15-2003, 10:17 AM
One of my favorite gizmos is, unfortunately, no longer in production :( . It`s an undercar spray wand made by American Waterbroom. You hook it up to the hose and use it to spray down the underside of the vehicle. SO much easier than a pressure washer!

After they discontinued it I offered to purchase an entire production run, but they wouldn`t go for it. A home-brewed one could always make one out of hollow tubing, hose fittings, casters, and some nozzles.

TOL offered a similar device, but it too is no longer available.

imported_zenhog
07-16-2003, 10:33 PM
Here`s a cheesy aluminum tube that they are selling as an undercarriage spray wand: http://www.beechhurst.com/sprayer.html

Here`s a brand called "Dirt Killer" that has a whole bunch of nozzles and an undercarriage wand:

http://www.jccarpet.com/pressurewashers/dirtkiller/nozzles.html