PDA

View Full Version : Got my Zaino

airjames
07-13-2003, 02:24 PM
I recently got some Zaino and made a successful transaction with Deanski on the boards here. He does a great job of packaging and getting the product to you promptly, and it costs me noda, not a dime to get it. He sent me some NEW Z2, some left over OLD Z5, Z6 amd Zaino`s #314 terry applicator.

Before I can try all this out, I need to get my truck preped for the Zaino, i.e, strip, clay, cutting polish etc..... I will keep everyone posted of how it`s going and hopefully post some pics as I go with the process.

Also,

I recently sent Sal an e-mail of what he thinks about MF towels. I was suprised to hear what he had to say. I must of deleted his e-mail by accident. Can`t seem to find it, anywho, he thought the towels are a great idea to come up with but he was saying that the quality control on them are not very good and some of them can sctrach your finish easily. He said he prefers to use 100% cotton made in the USA bath towels because he thinks they have better qulaity control over them than vs MF towels.

So just something I`d thought I share from Sal,,,,,,91

JasonC8301
07-13-2003, 03:17 PM
Cotton is sometimes better than MF`s, but with quality vendors like PakShak, YoSteve, and Jt International, I am confident in my MF`s. I do have my Fieldcrest Charisma bath towels though for buffing off Zaino sometimes.

I had a slight problem buffing off the new Z-5 with a MF, next time I`ll try a Charisma.

I can`t wait to see the results F-150.

Paint prep is the most important thing with Zaino, or any other sealant or protectant.

Here is my step to step thread on paint prep and Zaino :)

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25153

Free is a great price, I would of tried my best to convince Deanski not to cover shipping, LOL. I don`t like the 314 applicator. I use it to apply Z12 glass polish. I use foam for Zaino on paint.

BradE
07-13-2003, 03:49 PM
The reason Sal does not give his "approval" to using MF is because of quality control. You can however use MF towels to remove Zaino, I do it all the time. No trouble.

airjames
07-13-2003, 04:46 PM
Ok here`s how I plan to go about it

Wake up around 10 > put on clothes > Eat Pancakes> get my $hit together > Play NothingFace in CD player > Dawn > Z18 Clay > MIP > MFP > Z7 Wash > Dry truck > Eat Lunch > Watch Jerry Springer > back at it > Wipe down truck with damp terry cloth > Drink Faygo > Apply Zaino Z2 w/ ZFX > Faygo > Buff off Zaino > Z6 > more Z2 w/ ZFX > Faygo > Buff off > look at truck > my reaction > :eek: > More Zaino > Faygo > Buff off > Z6

:p J/k guys about the other Bs I threw in there, otherwise truck should look awesome,,,,,,91:up

chris0626
07-13-2003, 05:45 PM
I had mixed results buffing-off Zaino with MFs. Often got streaking. But NO problems since starting to use Autopia`s Ultimate Buffing Towel, and I think DFtowels are about the same. :up So I`ll never again use MF for buffing-off Zaino, though the 20-30 onhand will still get a stiff workout.

JasonC8301
07-13-2003, 06:05 PM
Nice break down.

I would recommend different though.

I assume MIP/MFP are the Menzerna twins.

1. Wash with regular car wash and dry.

2. Clay (some like to use a solution of car wash and water in a spray bottle, I like QD, car wash provides a little too much lube IMHO.)

3. Menzerna Twins

4. Dawn Wash and dry

5. Zaino Z5/ZFX

6. Z-6

7. Repeat 5+6 X2.

8. Enjoy shine.

The Z5 will cover up some very minor imperfections the Menzerna twins might not remove. I like to put on a few coats of Z5 on before switching it up to Z2. Then back to Z5 when washing and drying swirls happen sometimes.

Its your choice, Z2/Z5 are both great products.

airjames
07-13-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by JasonC8301

Nice break down.

I would recommend different though.

I assume MIP/MFP are the Menzerna twins.

1. Wash with regular car wash and dry.

2. Clay (some like to use a solution of car wash and water in a spray bottle, I like QD, car wash provides a little too much lube IMHO.)

3. Menzerna Twins

4. Dawn Wash and dry

5. Zaino Z5/ZFX

6. Z-6

7. Repeat 5+6 X2.

8. Enjoy shine.

The Z5 will cover up some very minor imperfections the Menzerna twins might not remove. I like to put on a few coats of Z5 on before switching it up to Z2. Then back to Z5 when washing and drying swirls happen sometimes.

Its your choice, Z2/Z5 are both great products.

Jason,

Yes the MIP & MFP are my abbreviation for the Menzerna polishes. Now all I need now is a PC and some TOL Pads and go to town,,,,,,,91

Deanski
07-13-2003, 08:11 PM
Hey F-150_91,

Glad to see you`re getting ready to try out the Zaino I sent you! I hate sending something and asking for shipping, kind a ruins the "Christmas in July" effect!!! I never would ask/charge for shipping! ANYWAY......

Just follow what the "boys" say here on prep.

You can use the Menzerna twins or DACP or 3M PIII MG, but most important, save the $$$ for the PC! You can get one from Costal tool. PC "starter pack" (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+sfmh7612ffc220c2+1058186817)

Yes you CAN do prep by hand, but boy does it blow! It can be done with lots of work!

This is great stuff to play with. Again remember the mantra of THIN.

If there is anything else I can do for you let me know, I`m here to help!

Regards,

Deanski

JasonC8301
07-13-2003, 08:21 PM
:xyxthumbs to you Dean.

As Dean said, the PC is a great tool. Really speeds things up.

Deanski
07-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Thanks Jason!!

Bottom line was he REALLY wanted to try Zaino, and, well since I had a new Z2 unopened and more on the way, I felt that here`s someone who could appreciate it. So he got the Z2, some Z5 (older) and Z6 and a pad.

I tried the new Z5, very runny as opposed to the previous. Just put it over the coats of Z2 I previously had on the trunck to see if it would cover any swirls. No big improvement, but it was a quick coat W/O ZFX. I did Z6 the area first. Next test... try it with the PC and grey pad.

I still have to get time to remove the swirls, but that will happen as soon as I can get time. Just had to get a new bottle of 3M PIII MG. I ran out.

You know, maybe we sould start a "barter/borrow/donate" area for those wanting to "try" new stuff w/o purchasing the products and possible wasting their money. Could start with small samples and grow from there. A sign-out area on who has what and for how long etc... Just a thought.

Gee, perfect day, nothing done! Wife was to be gone for the day, but noooo, so no swirl removal today!

Thanks again guys!

Regards,

Deanski

topnotchtouch
07-13-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by F-150_91

I recently sent Sal an e-mail of what he thinks about MF towels. I was suprised to hear what he had to say. I must of deleted his e-mail by accident. Can`t seem to find it, anywho, he thought the towels are a great idea to come up with but he was saying that the quality control on them are not very good and some of them can sctrach your finish easily. He said he prefers to use 100% cotton made in the USA bath towels because he thinks they have better qulaity control over them than vs MF towels.

So just something I`d thought I share from Sal,,,,,,91

I personally don`t understand Sal`s hesitation with MF. There isn`t any more quality control with cotton towels than MF. Sure, if you go into the auto parts store you are going to be taking a crap shoot. If you buy your MF from a reputable dealer like PakShak just as my favorite example you really can`t go wrong. I have more than 50 towels from Ranney and I have never had an issue with any of them. I can say though that I have some really nice FieldCrest bath towels that I would never touch my car with ever again ;)

Just my 2 cents

Deanski
07-13-2003, 09:42 PM
Nothing like Pakshak MF towels! Never trust those cheap MF towels you find in major department stores or discount chains!

A good test, get a CD-ROM that`s in good shape. I find the AOL free ones great victims for my tests. Rub your towel over it, if it scratches, it will scratch your finish!

Well, Sal`s finally getting with the times... at least we can order via Web now. I hope he will offer PAYPAL for those who do not want to use credit-card or do not have a credit-card.

I guess this is what Sal is used to for so may years, and if it works well, I guess don`t change it. However, seeing that the majority of us use MF towels, I may be time for Sal to try it.

Another thought for Sal.. On his site, he may want to start listing polish products that are compatible with Zaino. In other words, none that have fillers or oils etc. Best polish or glaze to prep prior to Zaino. A list would answer quite a few questiones we see time and time again.

Guys, I think it may be time for a way we can all share other products. An area on the site where someone has something and willing to offer it to the members, a signout or inventory list would be nice. This way, all of us could share different products w/o buying it and finding out it did not work well for them, but may for someone else. I`m game to offer up items for those who want to try it B4 they buy it!

Your thoughts?

Regards,

Deanski

airjames
07-13-2003, 11:18 PM
Dean,

Great thought about sharing other products with the other members:up We have some Pakshak towels and we use them on my Dad`s GP GT, very nice, and one word of advice,,,,,,wash them before intial use of them!!!!! I learned this the hard way:o

Now that I look at my Ranger closer, the hood, and the roof look to be more faded than other areas of the truck. My Ranger is gray metallic and in even in the sun, you can`t see the metallics anymore on the hood nor the roof. If I wash my truck in the evening, and the sun just barely hits the passenger side door and fender, the metallic just glows like it`s pearl OMG it looks so nice:cool: So I think what I will do is MIP & MFP the hood and roof, and the rest just go over with some MFP , strip , and then Zaino. Ok enough talk, I will post again soon to update everyone of how everything is going,,,,,,,,91

chris0626
07-14-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Deanski

Guys, I think it may be time for a way we can all share other products. An area on the site where someone has something and willing to offer it to the members, a signout or inventory list would be nice. This way, all of us could share different products w/o buying it and finding out it did not work well for them, but may for someone else. I`m game to offer up items for those who want to try it B4 they buy it!

Deanski, interesting idea. Wanna post that question in the Forum Feedback? I`m not sure it`ll get much notice tucked in this Zaino thread.