PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever tried rinse agent?

imported_doug
07-13-2003, 01:20 PM
Hi, Guys - Carguy here - first post here in ages. Hope you all are well. I am too - just been too busy to spend much time on my cars!

In a search of this board and a review of this thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14844&highlight=rinse+agent), which describes a commercial rinse agent used by auto car washes, I wondered if we couldn`t simply use dishwasher rinse agent - the kind you add to the little reservoir in the dishwasher? Its goal is the same thing - to reduce surface tension so that water doesn`t form droplets as easily.

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know what the ratio of this stuff to water should be? How would you apply it?

I`ve thought about a 5 gal bucket of water for the last rinse, or a pump-up garden sprayer, perhaps with the tip removed to get a higher volume, lower pressure flow, or one of those fertilizer-sprayer things you hook up to your hose and add concentrated liquid to the jar? Or ???

I`ve been meaning to try this but I haven`t yet. If nobody else has I promise to reply with my results when I do - but I thought I would ask, just in case......

imported_zenhog
07-13-2003, 01:27 PM
What a GREAT idea! I have one of those garden dealies which hooks on to my hose and dispenses.. can even set the ratio. I`m going to do some research...

shaf
07-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Hi Carguy! :wavey Long time no see.

I`ve seen rinse agent at places like dollar stores, and every time I do, I wonder the same thing! :cool: I`ve always dismissed this idea in the end though, because of a couple things: We don`t know what`s in rinse agents like Jet-Dry and don`t know if they are safe to get on paint, wax, or trim. Also, I think these chemicals work by increasing the rate of evaporation of the water? :nixweiss If so, you`d still get water spots which would only be avoided by actually soaking up or clearing the water away...

Lemonxxs
07-15-2003, 11:22 PM
Carguy I would be scared what is in it...as the dishwaher stuff may have a make up which is not good for sealants or something....

NEED Guinne pig here...

Welcome back GREG