PDA

View Full Version : Interesting definition of microfiber?

Onehole
07-11-2003, 12:42 AM
http://www.dftowel.com/microblurb.html

It states two points:

1. You can make microfiber yarn from 100% natural materials

2. You should avoid MF products made from amongst other things, polyester.

Now my understanding is that the almost universal definition of MF (at least for automotive uses) is that its man made and in fact primarily made up of polyester.

So whats everyones view on this??

Autofiber.com
07-11-2003, 01:35 AM
Here is my take:

This site uses the word "microfiber" as an adjective. That is it says that it`s towels fiber`s are made of micro-fibers (super small fibers).

Normally when you hear someone speak of Microfiber they are using the word as a noun. They are referring to a specific type of product made of a blend of polyester and polyamide.

It is just a difference in semantics.

Regardless, I would not consider much of what that site claims to be true. The statements are just too broad and sweeping. The truth is that not all Microfiber will scratch your car`s finish, granted some will. Not all microfiber is made for use on auto paint. Only high quality microfiber should be used on your cars fine finish.

It is a cleaver marketing trick (especially in this day and age) to claim that "natural" products are better than "man-made" products. But why? Where is the logic? Surely in some cases natural products are better than man-made, but in many other cases man-made products are better. Is pure carnuba wax always better than Zaino? NO....depends on what you desire, and what your goals are. To many that question doesnt even apply (but that is another discussion).

In this industry there is a "myth" that under all circumstances you should stay away from products that contain polyester. But this is not true in all cases. This myth comes from a time (long before microfiber) when manufactures would make cotton towels out of a blend of cotton and polyester. This was not good because the polyester would cause scratching. Hence the mantra "Only use 100% cotton towels on your car`s fine finish". And a fine mantra it was. But the simple fact is that that polyester was not the micro-polyester that Microfiber is made from. The polyester in high-quality microfiber that is suited for auto detailing is so fine that it will not cause scratching.

Hope this helps.

Taxlady
07-11-2003, 03:49 AM
But, I`ve read that Autopians who have tried the DF Towels really, really like them.

Autofiber.com
07-11-2003, 04:04 AM
Don`t get me wrong. I like them too, they are soft, and have a distinct feel...but I like "standard" microfiber better (for detailing).

I was just trying to clear up some of the confusion and mis-information.

Taxlady
07-11-2003, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Autofiber.com

Don`t get me wrong. I like them too, they are soft, and have a distinct feel...but I like "standard" microfiber better (for detailing).

I was just trying to clear up some of the confusion and mis-information.

Oops, didn`t express myself clearly. I thought your first post did an admirable job of explaining. If I had taken issue with what you wrote, I would have put it in my post. Sorry.