PDA

View Full Version : Hit in parking lot, what to do?

Jimb0
07-09-2003, 11:41 PM
Got hit in a parking lot a while ago, person failed to leave a name or number or anything, so its coming out of my pocket. Anyway, part of the fender has white paint on it, and a good 1`x1` section of my front bumper(its made of plastic) has some nice paint scrapes on it.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/340000-340999/340398_4_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/340000-340999/340398_5_full.jpg

You cant tell in the photos, but from the foglight over there is a ton of white paint/no paint. These pictures were taken after a few hours of using scratch x on the area. Does anyone have any suggestions as on how to get it back to black, or will I have to get the fender/bumper repainted? Does anyone have any tips on how to do this for cheap? I plan to sell the car soon, but would like it to look nice.

Jngrbrdman
07-09-2003, 11:45 PM
I use products like Meguiar`s ScratchX to get paint swaping marks out. It works great! It won`t do much for deep cuts in the paint, but it will get those white areas out.

Jimb0
07-09-2003, 11:49 PM
Like I said, I spent about two plus hours rubbing the area with scratch x, and the pictures you see are after rubbing with scratch x.

Jngrbrdman
07-09-2003, 11:56 PM
Oh... whoops. :D guess I missed that part. :lol Have you tried using a razor blade or the edge of a knife? You have to be careful, but it does work on some things. I always have a knife with me on a job because it comes in handy. If it can`t be scratched off with a blade then it ain`t coming off.

After looking at the pics again, I question if that is paint swap. That could just be really deep cuts in the paint. Its possible that they need touch up paint.

Riccar
07-10-2003, 12:53 AM
Don`t feel too bad. My wife wondered why a 8 ft ladder needed to leaned against the garage wall so she put it flush against the wall!!! Next thing I know, bang! Ladder fell against my new silver Passat. Dented my trunk and left rear quarterpanel edge. Oh the pain..... cost over $800 to fix the two dents and repaint the whole rear to blend the silver in with the rest of the car. The dents were pretty small, only 1/4" deep. Surprisingly, it paint actually matched the original which is real hard with silver...

Jimb0
07-14-2003, 05:30 AM
a bump to see if anyone else has any ideas.