PDA

View Full Version : Zaino Paint Preparation Help?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Alex318
07-09-2003, 04:59 PM
I am a little confused with the following step....

[B]PAINT PREPERATION:[B]

Properly and thoroughly prepare your paint. Do a dish detergent wash, then a claying, and follow with whatever polishing is needed to remove (not fill) any micro-marring.

A)WHAT IS MICRO-MARRING?....

Finish with a very mild cleaner/polish to obtain the most reflective surface possible.

B)I SHOULD POLISH TWICE?

Do a very careful wash (you don’t want to add any micro-marring to your carefully prepared paint) with Z-7 and carefully dry. Now you’re ready for the Zaino treatment!

So here is what i should do to prepare the paint for Zaion right...

1)Wash with dish soap.

2)Clay(I need to dry before claying right?)

3)Polish (I have used Pinnacle paint cleansing lotion, would something else work better

..http://www.****************/paincleanlot.html)

4) Polish?(So I polish a 2nd time, what type of polish do i use now?)

5) Wash with Z7

Thanks for any help, I am new to Zaino, so I want to make sure I do it right the first time

2wheelsx2
07-09-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by EUROTECH

1)Wash with dish soap.

3)Polish (I have used Pinnacle paint cleansing lotion, would something else work better

..http://www.****************/paincleanlot.html)

5) Wash with Z7

Thanks for any help, I am new to Zaino, so I want to make sure I do it right the first time

I am no Z expert, but most Autopians have been through the Z debate enough to answer the questions.

1) correct

2) correct - but no need to dry. Just save time by claying the car wet and rewashing any residue afterwards. Just make sure the car doesn`t air dry while you doing this.

3) No, those are cleansers. If you need to remove swirls and the like, you`ll need a swirl remover of some sort. If you have paint in excellent shape, then you can skip the swirl remover and use a paint cleanser.

4) If you had used an SMR in step 3, then you might want to use a cleanser here. If not, you can skip this step.

5) correct.

Deanski
07-09-2003, 07:47 PM
When I do my Lexus SC430, this is what I`ve done.

Check the Zaino website for current updates and tips! That`s number 1. Check Autopia for any updates as well.

1) Dawn wash.

2) Clay

3) Z7 wash

4) Polish (Menzerna FP or DACP)

5) Final wipe down and prep with Z6, check finish!

6) Z5

7) Z6

8) Z5

9) Z6

10) Z2

11) Z6

Stand back and enjoy the shine, watch others near us comment that I`m crazy "polishing" this car so often. Then they comment on how nice it looks as if the paint is in suspension or fluid!

That`s my .02

Regards,

Deanski

chris0626
07-09-2003, 08:32 PM
A couple of questions first: Have you read the Zaino "Application Tips" (maybe that`s what you`re quoting here) and NickT`s Tips here in Autopia? Those are very helpful.

Originally posted by EUROTECH

[B]I am a little confused with the following step....

Properly and thoroughly prepare your paint. Do a dish detergent wash, then a claying, and follow with whatever polishing is needed to remove (not fill) any micro-marring.

"Micromarring" is those little swirls/scratches that you can see in your paint. Zaino gives a gorgeous finish, but if you have any -- ANY! -- swirls, scratches, or spider-webbing, then Zaino will only "enhance" them. So you need to do careful paint prep before you start the Zaino process.

Finish with a very mild cleaner/polish to obtain the most reflective surface possible.

B)I SHOULD POLISH TWICE?

There`s a problem with the term "polish." In Autopia, when we talk about "polishing," we mean using SMR, compounds, etc. But lots of vendors say "polish" when we would say "wax" or "seal." So you may polish to get the paint scratch/swirl-free, then you apply the Zaino sealant. Be sure not to use any glazes that have "fillers" in them, or Zaino won`t bond properly.

1)Wash with dish soap.

Most of us use regular Dawn.

Yes, I do. Then I`ve used Mother`s, ClayMagic, and Autopia clays. I use plenty of lube. But I don`t wash afterwards. Lots of people do, though. You just need to assess the "cleanness" of the paint, I guess.

It totally depends on whether your paint is scratch/swirl-free. If you have any defects, you`ll need to use some appropriate polish -- ranging from paint-cleanser to SMR to heavy-duty compounds.

Nope. You`ve dealt with it in step 3.

Then use the Zaino QD, and go at it with Z5 or Z2, depending on your car color.

Again, be sure to read Zaino`s own tips and NickT`s tips. I`m lovin` my Zaino shine. :bigups

LouisanaJeeper
07-09-2003, 11:05 PM

**kind of like swirls, but not as deep

**here he says to polish with your first polish(more abrasive) to get out the larger swirls and imperfections

B)I SHOULD POLISH TWICE?

**polish with you second polish (milder abrasiveness) to get out the scratches introduced by the first polish

Do a very careful wash (you don’t want to add any micro-marring to your carefully prepared paint) with Z-7 and carefully dry. Now you’re ready for the Zaino treatment!

** Use the two bucket washing method with high quality mits

I did mine not too long ago: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24735

TAKE YOUR TIME ON THE PREP!! I seriously spent 80% of my time preparing the surface for Zaino (due to the initial paint condition ;) ), applying the Zaino was the easy part

93LSCOUPE
07-10-2003, 02:09 AM
Lynn,

You give the absolute best directions I have ever seen. Your explanation is very clear.

Are you a coach by any chance?

heh..

Anyhow, I am getting a little confused about what you said about using and "glazes that have fillers in them."

I have a `93 Black Acura Legend that has relatively good paint. It shines up well after a wash and wax, BUT the car has been through countless car washes. Point being, it MUST have a lot of swirls in it. I`m not an expert on paint, but I know the paint could use some SMR.

Now my concern is: I don`t want to trap and enhance any swirl marks in the paint. What (filler free) product do you recommend - so that I can be assured that the Zaino will "bond" correctly.

Be sure not to use any glazes that have "fillers" in them, or Zaino won`t bond properly.

Can you then list the steps I need to take starting from the initial Dawn Wash?

Thanks a lot. You guys really know your stuff!

Deanski
07-10-2003, 07:06 AM
SMR`s have products in them to `hide" or "fill" swirls. The best way for Zaino application is to REMOVE swirls. This can be done by using a polish such as 3M or Menzerna or Megs, but it may take some time depending on how bad they are. Most of us have very good results with DACP as it cleans AND polishes. A less aggressive product may be #9 or Megs Swirl Free Polish. Menzerna FP is good, but it does take longer to break down and sometimes hard to remove hence the nickname "Glue-Zerna". Nothing wrong with it, just a bit different than other polishes.

The 3M SMR has fillers in it, works well but the swirls will return later. 3M FIII MP works well, as does some of the other polishes from 3M.

Just take your time when removing swirls, don`t rush it. As they slowly start to come off, then you`re on the right track. If they don`t, a more aggressive product or pad may be needed. All depends on how bad it is and which product to use.

There are a boat load of posts on swirl removal. Just go though all the postings and you`ll see which will work for you.

Regards,

Deanski

SK2003TypeS
07-10-2003, 08:16 AM
A couple of questions first: Have you read the Zaino "Application Tips" (maybe that`s what you`re quoting here) and NickT`s Tips here in Autopia? Those are very helpful.

Yeah, if you haven`t seen this, this write up is great if you`re relatively new to Zaino.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23601&highlight=Nick+T

chris0626
07-10-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by 93LSCOUPE

[B]Lynn,You give the absolute best directions I have ever seen. Your explanation is very clear.Are you a coach by any chance?

Aw shucks! :o Not a coach per se, but most of my work for the past 20 yrs has been as a trainer.

Anyhow, I am getting a little confused about what you said about using and "glazes that have fillers in them."

I have a `93 Black Acura Legend that has relatively good paint. It shines up well after a wash and wax, BUT the car has been through countless car washes. Point being, it MUST have a lot of swirls in it. I`m not an expert on paint, but I know the paint could use some SMR.

Now my concern is: I don`t want to trap and enhance any swirl marks in the paint. What (filler free) product do you recommend - so that I can be assured that the Zaino will "bond" correctly.

Deanski`s given you some great advice on specific SMRs/glazes. Use whatever works. Then spritz the surface with a 50% alcohol solution (or just buy 50% alcohol) to get rid of any fillers and oils. If you go the polish route, be sure also to wash again before applying the Zaino.

Can you then list the steps I need to take starting from the initial Dawn Wash?

Does this thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25549) help? It`s really just these basic steps: wash & dry, clay, polish if needed, wash again if you polish, then apply the Zaino QD, then start with the Z2 or Z5. But you`ll find lots more info on the Zaino website and great tips in Nick`s Unsolicited Tips & Tricks (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23601). Go read! :up And come back with any clarifications you may need. Always happy to help another Zaino user.

93LSCOUPE
07-10-2003, 09:52 AM
Thanks for all the great info guys.

Deanski,

So Megs #9 doesn`t have fillers? I would be ok using that? Also, can I apply #9 by hand? What kind of pads would work best with it? I need to get me some MF towels!

Lynn

A trainer eh? I knew it. hehe...I have read the Zaino application tips already. Only about 3 times. Thought I`d make sure it was right by asking you guys.

Keep the awesome info coming! Really appreciate it!

imported_Alex318
07-10-2003, 10:52 AM

93LSCOUPE
07-10-2003, 10:58 AM
Hey guys,

The more I read about how Zaino can actually enhance swirl marks the more scared I am to use it.

Deanski,

I`m beginning to question whether I should even USE ZAINO now???

I guess it all depends on me. I am not that picky about my car, although I would want to make it perfect (if I had the time and money to spend on it-maybe that`ll come later). It seems like there are A LOT steps I need to take prior to Zaino to make sure Zaino comes out AS IT SHOULD?

Anyhow, as of now, I just want to clear up some of the swirls I have on the paint and then make it look really shiny/glossy etc....

Is there another Swirl remover I can use to reduce swirls - and then follow up with someing like Souveran and not be scared of "enhancing" any swirl marks????

What route do you guys think I should go?

Thanks for all the help~!

chris0626
07-10-2003, 11:23 AM
93LSCOUPE, I understand what you mean. I first used Zaino on the old white Jag, which has nearly-flawless paint. Using Zaino got me all the way thru the winter, and made washing easy-breezy; even with salt, mud, and general crud, I never had to scrub to get her clean. Now that summer is here, I continue to marvel at how Zaino makes bird-bomb and sap clean-up easy too.

Wanted to use it on the Benz, too, but when I got to looking at the finish, I realized it was swirl city. So instead, I clayed, used Megs #7 and #26 for the time; now that I have begun practicing with a PC and polish, I`ll be able to deal with the swirls and then use either Zaino or Klasse. My thinking was that, though Zaino isn`t difficult to apply, it does sound like removal is something of a hassle. So I opted to go for glaze and wax `til I could deal appropriately with the swirls.

I do not believe Zaino is difficult to use. And if you`re not all that picky, that may mean you don`t really want to wax very often. That`s a real benefit of Zaino: if you`ll spend the time to apply it, then all you need to do is the occasional wash and QD to keep it looking stunning for months and months.

Deanski
07-10-2003, 12:14 PM
Don`t sweat if you cannot get EVERY swirl out! Look at it this way, we all could be as anal as hell and get all the marks etc off the finish, but for now so you can really appreciate Zaino, do the best you can for now. #9 is a good product for getting rid of swirls for now. As for MF towels, WWW.PAKSHAK.COM!!!!

Zaino is not difficult to use, it`s just the prepwork as with any polish/wax. Sure you can go Souveran and you`ll still have swirls, but now you have to maintain the Souveran more so than Zaino which lasts longer and protects better. So what if the finish is not perfect, see if you like it and go from there!

Hell, I STILL have some swirls left on my new Lexus SC430 and have yet to get the time to remove them, but I have Zaino over the Red color and it looks very nice and wet! Yes I will get them out now I got the newer Zaino and more DACP.

Don`t sweat, go have fun and enjoy the shine!!! You can go as anal as you want later!

Regards,

Deanski

93LSCOUPE
07-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Thanks again Deanski

Can you tell me again what kind of filler-free swirl remover you recommend I use so that the Zaino will bond properly?

Be sure not to use any glazes that have "fillers" in them, or Zaino won`t bond properly

Thanks. I have more questions than a 5 year old!