PDA

View Full Version : Detailing a Boat??

Dinzdale40
07-09-2003, 10:15 AM
What would be the best method to get the best shine out of it? It`s a 10 year old 20ft Bullet Bass Boat. It stays in a garage and gets waxed a bunch, but we`re gonna do some rallies next year involving boat shows in which I would like to outdue the other contestants. Can I use the same stuff on it. I know the finish is much better than most cars. Would Zaino work?

kirbdog
07-09-2003, 10:38 AM
I have a white 2001 Ranger 518, and I use AIO, Followed by Sg topped with S100, and I don`t even have to wipe it down after running in muddy water. I use 303 on the seats and vinyl, and buff it off. My seats and vinyl bead water like the fiberglass. Just be careful with the bottom, you don`t want to leave it sitting on the ramp before you get to the water.

Here is my baby

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3186&papass=&sort=1

Dinzdale40
07-09-2003, 02:19 PM
nice boat....i`m debating on whether or not to use a clay bar...it`s gonna be completely redone so it doesn`t matter that much...

kirbdog
07-09-2003, 05:58 PM
I clay mine as needed, I tournament fish all over the East Coast, so I pick up a lot of tar and road grime.

hondaguy2582
07-09-2003, 07:31 PM
i detail 50s and 60` yachts at work on hull sides, and we never have used a clay bar. for you, maybe its worth it, but if you compound gelcoat, claying is useless since your removing a layer of gelcoat(gelcoat is pretty thick, probably a quarter inch at the least). btw, finesse it 2 with collinite fleetwax paste gives it a shine like whoa on white gelcoat.

Dinzdale40
07-09-2003, 10:14 PM
Our boat is completely black, the gelcoat is really durable, has some chips in the clear in a couple spots. Actually the gelcoat on our boat is just over 1/16th of an inch thick on most parts, there is 1/2 balsa wood behind some of the gel, but the actual finish is alot like a car, except the clear seems more durable. I might clay bar it soon and use my regular autozone products, but before the big rally next June, I`ll prolly get to use zaino or something.

imported_edschwab1
07-10-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by kirbdog

I have a white 2001 Ranger 518, and I use AIO, Followed by Sg topped with S100, and I don`t even have to wipe it down after running in muddy water. I use 303 on the seats and vinyl, and buff it off. My seats and vinyl bead water like the fiberglass. Just be careful with the bottom, you don`t want to leave it sitting on the ramp before you get to the water.

Here is my baby

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3186&papass=&sort=1

Nice boat and great shine.

As to how to clean and prep all depends on the condition. Claying is personal decision.

Eric