PDA

View Full Version : claybar disintegrated!

pward76
07-09-2003, 12:35 AM
As I was claying a Tahoe this evening, my claybar "fell apart". It lost cohesiveness is the best way I can describe what happened.

I was using a claybar that I had stored in a plastic bag in my garage. The clay was somewhat sticky (for lack of a better word) coming out of the bag, and I used some off-the-shelf QD spray called Black Magic something or other, I didn`t like it for use as a QD, it is a pain to buff out, so I used it for claying instead of throwing it out.

Anyway, was the claybar just old, did it start to break down because I stored it in a plastic bag, or did the crappy QD spray have anything to do with it?

Anybody else ever had this happen?

Thanks!

jaim
07-09-2003, 01:17 AM
Just want to share my experience with my clay bar.

I am using Mothers Clay Bar (New). I tried using a dilluted car wash shampoo (Eimann Fabirk POwer Wash +) as lubricant.

After completing my claying process, I noticed that my clay is already falling apart and became so sticky... I guess I made a very strong car shampoo solution.

I can pinpoint the car shampoo as the culprit because the other person who is helping me was using a standard QD product and the other half of my clay did not become sticky nor fell aprat as it happened to my clay.

gregory kina
07-09-2003, 08:04 AM
I had this happen to me twice!

I think it was caused by using a water/car shampoo mixture that was way to strong. I have a feeling that if you use too much shampoo it will get into the clay causing it to loose its adhesiveness.

Since the last incident I`ve been using a very mild mixture of water and car shampoo and my claybars are stil in good condition...

Richard

pward76
07-09-2003, 09:46 AM
So it sounds to me like the crappy QD that I bought is the culprit. :mad:

It`s ironic, because I had thrown it in the trash and then retrieved it - thinking that I could at least use it for a clay lube, and not have totally wasted my money. . :sosad

Oh well, live and learn - no more "Black Magic" QD for me. I`m gonna throw that stuff out as soon as I get home.

Thanks for the input!

shaf
07-09-2003, 03:51 PM
This has been discussed a few months ago too - try looking for the thread.

I think another strong possibility is that you are "folding" too much moisture into the clay. I have noticed this tends to soften it.

Tim Lingor
07-09-2003, 07:27 PM
Hey!

Although this has been discussed before, I will put in my .02!

My last 3 bars of Mothers have fallen apart as well. Strange, as I use thier Showtime QD and have never had problems before!! :mad:

Hmmm....

Tim

C. Charles Hahn
07-09-2003, 07:49 PM
just how old of mother`s bars are we talking about here? I have a brand new one that`s a year old (brand new as in never out of the box) in the back of my cabinet that I just haven`t touched yet (been trying other clays) so now I`ll be curious to see how it performs. hmm....

chris0626
07-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

I think another strong possibility is that you are "folding" too much moisture into the clay. I have noticed this tends to soften it.

Agreed. I`ve never had a problem, except when I tried making a DIY lube with too much carwash shampoo.

What brand of clay are you using?

pward76
07-09-2003, 10:28 PM
It was a Mother`s claybar, and I was very liberal in my use of the QD lubricant, probably got too much moisture in it. I have a new one, I`ll be a little more careful about this one and see what happens.

jaim
07-10-2003, 12:00 AM
I am sure that my Mothers QD is OK because the other half that was being by my assistant did not disintegrate like my other half. My assisant was using EO Wet, Wipe and Shine thus, I can safely conclude that it was my strong car shampoo solution that destroyed my clay.

TortoiseAWD
07-10-2003, 07:54 AM
I`ve also found that folding lube/carwash into the clay can contribute to its breakdown. I dab the clay on a clean MF (or even just tap it on my shirt a couple of times) to remove most of the lube before I fold the dirty side of the clay to the middle. I don`t doubt that the lube itself can contribute to the clay disintegrating, but I`ve not had the problem since I started drying the clay before folding.

Yet another data point . . .

Tort