PDA

View Full Version : Noob Here....

Dinzdale40
07-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Hi, I`ve been coasting the forums for a week now and am thoroughly impressed. The acronyms are bit overwhelming but I`m getting the hang of saying mf now. I drive a 1998 Honda Accord EX-V6, getting it lowered within the week with TEIN SS coilovers(they are sitting in my garage), just finished detailing it for the moment. I used:

Clay Magic

Meguirs Wash

3M Fine Cut on scratched areas

Liquid Glass Polish

Mothers Reflections 4 Coats

That`s about all I`ve done and am open to suggestions just as long as they don`t require a bunch of money. The paint is in terrible condition, but I`ve revived it a little bit. The bumper and the hood are beyond hope. The bumper has a knot in the corner where the bumper is cracking slightly on the surface. The hood has some rock chips. I`m trying to convert to windshield wipers with the sprayers in the wipers(like a buick la sabre) so that I can remove the hood mounted sprayers and fill in the holes when I get the hood repainted.

shaf
07-09-2003, 03:22 AM
Hi, welcome to Autopia! :welcome

I`m hoping you know about the Autopia eBook? ;) A new version is in the works, but the old one still covers the basic principles well. Be sure to also browse in the Learn! link above too. And remember: the Search feature is your friend!

The 3M Fine Cut is probably a good tool for you to use if the paint is in bad shape - especially if you`re doing this by hand alone. Don`t be afraid to use it all over the car if the paint has swirls or oxidation that you`d like to fix.

I`m not sure how well Liquid Glass or Reflections does at hiding defects, but try a few coats of LG to see if it helps hide swirls and problems. LG is (theoretically) able to layer in coats, while Reflections cannot since it`s a cleaner wax.

You may or may not want to also experiment with a "traditional" polish, glaze, then wax routine. The glaze here is the difference, since it might do a better job at hiding very light defects and giving your paint more "pop". You already have a polish (3M), but may want a finer one to compliment it if this leaves hazing after use, and then all you have to do is pick out a nice glaze and wax - there are lots of choices, but Mothers is fine and easy to find. This is, of course, if you even want to try this route. ;)

HTH

medic159
07-09-2003, 09:42 AM
:welcome

Dinzdale40
07-09-2003, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys, I am thinking of getting a synthetic polymer wax like zaino. I also want to be able to put a carnauba top on it. I guess this will work for now though. It looks pretty good, but I want a system. I can`t decide whether to use SG, AIO, P21S, or just use the Zaino line. I like both and AIO topped with P21S is supposed to give one of the best shines out there.