PDA

View Full Version : Remember Autofom?

elbee
07-08-2003, 08:09 PM
This was a sealant pitched by Dennis Weaver on late-nite infomercials about 6 or 7 years ago. I believe it was made by Blue Coral. I ordered it and was very pleased with the results. Did any of you try it, and if so, how does it compare to the current crop?

BTW, new to the boards. Great site!

jimtriz
07-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Hi elbee. I used to use it also. Now any remaining product is used on my lawn tractor...there are many other better choices out there. I remember the infomercials too, they touted the products advanced Fomblin-A surface protectant. Also used to protect the shuttle I believe they used to say! Anyway just wanted to let you know you weren`t alone in the Autofom world.

Magellan498
07-08-2003, 09:16 PM
:welcome to Autopia elbee and jimtriz!

Walterb
07-10-2003, 11:11 AM
I have the Blue Coral PolyGlycoat system that I bought for $1 at a everthings a dollar store in Columbia Mo. It was around $20 when it came out new. This is a two part system that is suppose tow last 4 years. The 1st step is a cleaner. It does and good job cleaning paint. The 2nd step is the protection. It is not that good. I don`t think I got even 6 months of protection.

TCL
07-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by elbee

This was a sealant pitched by Dennis Weaver on late-nite infomercials about 6 or 7 years ago. I believe it was made by Blue Coral. I ordered it and was very pleased with the results. Did any of you try it, and if so, how does it compare to the current crop?

BTW, new to the boards. Great site!

I read that it was replaced by Rain-X Ultra wax (supposedly a polymer)

fuds
07-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Used to use auto-fom. found it "greasy" to remove.

Deanski
07-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Well, another CT forum member! Welcome!!! :D

IMO, I`d stay away from items that are "hocked" like this.

You are much better off finding a more mainstream product or some that are more proven as good products.

If you search this site for what type of protection you`re looking for, you will come up with quite a lot of products.

Wax: Megs #26, S100, P21S, Souveran, Poorboys, Moose etc.

Polys: Zaino BF, UPP, Megs #20, etc.

Some are also a cleaner/wax and some are just pure wax.

All depends on your condition of the paint finish. If it`s swirl free, some of us use Zaino or BF, other stay with just pure carnuba waxes.

Just reach out to us and tell us what type of car and condition it`s in and go from there!

Regards,

Deanski

titus
07-13-2003, 12:34 AM
Yeah! Wasn`t that the product that contained `Fomblin`? Supposedly you could run your TV set immersed in Fomblin. I had to have some of it - shine wasn`t bad but WAY HARD to remove. Ended up on the back shelf. Threw the remainder out about six months ago. It was curdled. :shocked

captkirk2
07-14-2003, 11:02 AM
Fomlin "A" was the special ingredient. I tried it along time ago, don`t remeber anything special about it.

stuart hicks
07-14-2003, 05:06 PM
That was highly touted on the pro level too about ten years ago.

They went on about cross-linking polymers. I bought it at the time but did not see great durability with it.

At my parents house i still have a bottle in the garage. For some reason i won`t throw away.

Guy
07-14-2003, 05:54 PM
It worked great at first, although it was greasy to remove, but then they cheapened it up. You had to keep wringing water out of the application pad.

Anyone ever use Raindance? I had the best wax job ever on a car with that. Until they did the same and cheapen it up. I took my car to the autobody shop and they all wanted to know what I used on my car.

schwantz
07-14-2003, 06:05 PM
The wheel cleaner with autofom was not too bad if I recall.