PDA

View Full Version : need a good torque wrench

Pages : [1] 2

hondaguy2582
07-08-2003, 07:13 PM
already searched, but i want to know what torque wrenches are a good buy. i don`t want to spend over a 100 bucks for a torque wrench, but i want a good quality, middle of the road, torque wrench that will last me for a few years. I figure since i do all my maintenance on my honda at home im eventually going to need one for doing the spark plugs, rotating the wheels and such. Anyone know good deals and what models to buy?:nixweiss

C. Charles Hahn
07-08-2003, 07:15 PM
I would look on ebay maybe for a used snap-on... I seem to remember seeing a few for ~80-100 previously.

hondaguy2582
07-08-2003, 07:23 PM
what size drive should i get, 1/2" or 3/8?

jr_mints
07-08-2003, 07:24 PM
Craftsman has reasonably priced torque wrenches that are pretty accurate. Just remember after you use any torque wrench to reset it back to zero.

Regards,

69-912
07-08-2003, 08:21 PM
I would go with a Craftsman. There are better wrenches on the market however for the price Craftsman is hard to beat plus anytime I buy a torque wrench I would only want a new one because so many things can cause them to mess up. That is unless you buy a used one then have it tested and calibrated.

BradE
07-08-2003, 08:34 PM
I`ve not had good expierences with Craftsman Torque wrenches. I`d look on eBay for a used Snap-On or Mac wrench. You can find some lighly used models for under $100. Watch the prices on the Snap-On stuff, they seem to draw trolls that love to run up bids. Armstrong and Proto also are not bad, but not as nice as a Snap-On or Mac. Oh, SK isn`t bad either. :)

I`d go with the 3/8``s drive. In many cases the 1/2`` is just too big to get into cramped areas. Get a cheapo 1/2`` for torquing lug nuts.

:up :up

hondaguy2582
07-08-2003, 09:42 PM
yeah, the only problem with buying on ebay is that you don`t know what abuse its been through, and if its even calibrated right. the snap-on looks pretty good, although, id want to spend 90 bucks tops for a used click type.

turnipgreen
07-09-2003, 08:29 AM
I`ve had good luck buying used snapon ratchets and sockets on ebay (not the same as a torque wrench I know). You do have to watch what is listed, and ask lots of questions, and watch for poor ratings, and make sure you don`t go above your set price.

But so far, I`ve been able to get most stuff at 50-60% of original price for stuff that has been barely used.

Joe K -- 01 Green
07-09-2003, 08:33 AM
Harbor Freight; Craftsman are fine but they still sell the same one I bought 25 years ago that has the "window" showing ft-lbs, etc. Over time that fogs and makes it hard to see the setting--works fine but...

imported_garyo
07-09-2003, 10:39 AM
I would suggest getting a Snap-on like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2332880836&category=42265

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2332866402&category=20774

I have found the slight movement in the flex head design very useful. Additionally the lever/turn dial for setting the torque is great and if you forget to turn it back to zero it is not suppose to effect the calibration. If you get it used have it tested and calibrated by your local Snap-on dealer. There are always some of these on Ebay.

Another thought on torque wrenches. Get more than one. I say this because the wider the range the less accurate it is at the ends of the range, especially at the low end. Get one for lighter settings something like 5-75 lbs. in a 3/8 drive and then another for heavier stuff, something like a 40-250 lbs. ½ drive.

Nikon
07-09-2003, 11:01 AM
I`ve had my 1/2 drive MAC torque wrench for 15 years and it has served me well.

I would have prefered the Snap-on one but at the time e-bay didn`t exist and I didn`t have the extra $$.

gnahc79
07-09-2003, 11:05 AM
i`ve been putting off getting some torque wrenches for a while now. Harbor freight? What brands do they carry?

I need a wrench for my wheels, 80 lbs., and a lower one for other stuff (~25 lbs.).

bet993, where did you find a 5-75?

imported_garyo
07-09-2003, 11:13 AM
Snap-on has them.

Here is one example new: Snap-on Link (http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_det.asp?tool=all&item_ID=55258&group_ID=954&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog)

Steve @ Guru
07-09-2003, 12:05 PM
I`d like to think I`m a little qualified to answer this question...I have 9 torque wrenches and about $45k of tools sitting in the basement and garage (being an ex-technician of 7+ years helped acquire a few tools).

While the quality of a Snap-On, Mac or Matco tool is generally higher than consumer-grade tools, I would not recommend buying a Snap-On, Mac or Matco torque wrench via eBay.

The chances of it being out of calibration are simply too great, and to have the wrenches calibrated costs over $100.

For my weekend projects, I use a Craftsman torque wrench. I have the 20-120lb model, 1/2" drive and I have a 3/8" drive model as well. Both are close enough for the weekend warrior and will withstand weekend-type work loads. I use them for torquing wheel lug nuts, and things like that - works perfectly.

If you were a pro-wrench and were using your torque wrench every day, or were torquing critical components like bearing caps and transmission components, then I`d say to get the Snap-On, Mac or Matco. But for things like lug nut torque, brake caliper torque, etc., the Craftsman will be more than adequate.

Oh, and one last thing - many newer cars have "stretch to torque" values. You torque the fastener to a certain value, then you use an angle guage to torque it a certain # of degrees past the first torque value...it stretches the bolt. :)

imported_BretFraz
07-09-2003, 12:38 PM
I have a Craftsman 1/2" drive torque wrench just like Steve`s. I agree completely - for a shadetree mechanic a Craftsman is excellent. A pro quality wrench is best if you rebuild motors or something but beyond that, they`re overkill.

I also have a Husky 3/8" drive wrench in inch pounds. I find I use that one often for work on lawnmowers or other small engine equipt. There are gonna be times you need a wrench that can torque to a spec under 25 ft lbs so an inch lb wrench is worth having. Again, no need to go off the hook for one. Mine cost me about $45.00 at Home Despot.