PDA

View Full Version : Boat Waxing?

CharlesW
08-22-2004, 10:58 PM
While checking some stuff in my owners manual for my 1993 Chris Craft I noticed a section on fiberglass care. They advised against using automotive products since they were intended to protect paint. They strongly suggested the use of a fiberglass boat wax since it would fill the pores of the fiberglass gel-coat.
Since I have alway used automotive products on my boats, this brings up a question. Is the marine wax really different? Should I be using a fiberglass wax to "fill the pores"? Hey, one more bottle of wax isn`t going to make much difference in my collection.

The manual was probably written in 1992 for inclusion with a 1993 boat, so the information could be outdated. Wax and sealant technology has come a long way since then. By the same token, boat wax has probably also come a long way.

III
08-22-2004, 11:17 PM
I don`t think you would be hurting anything if you use automotive polishes or waxes on fiberglass. Worst case would be that you`re really not improving anything and just wasting your time. I think it depends a lot on the manufacturer. Take meguiar`s for example, they offer a complete line of polishes/waxes in a specific boat lineup and they say in their catalog that there`s a difference. However, take Steve`s products for example. His products I`m told can be used on fiberglass. This is what I mean when I say it depends on the maker of the product. My parents have a 1990 20 foot bayliner which I`ve waxed in the past. I`ve used automotive waxes on it with no problem. Having said that however, I didn`t notice any drastic improvement either. Sure, a little bit, but nothing eye catching.

bigron62
08-23-2004, 01:15 AM
i would use wax i dont see how it matters

JaredPointer
08-23-2004, 08:00 AM
Why would automotive wax not fill the pores?

clean4u
08-23-2004, 08:08 AM
Charles, I think that since the boat is fiberglass and the finish is gel coat most manufacters suggest marine polishes and waxes on fiberglass boats maybe for that reason you mention but dont hold me to word. Hope this helps!

Mark Waldron
08-23-2004, 04:01 PM
I`ve been using AIO since day one on my 98 Four Winns and it looks like the day I bought it. On neglected finishes I use Einszett Ultra Polish or Stoners Clear Coat compound than top off with AIO. I`ve restored many neglected boats with this procedure and have always had excellent results.

rollman
08-23-2004, 04:50 PM
According to Steve PB`s PP is what alot of the boat detailers use in his next of the woods. You been using automotive products this long so why change.

jaybs02
08-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Charles thats a debate that goes on in the boating boards...
Some say only use marine waxes others say auto products work fine.
I`ve used both on mine... see no difference.

At WOT neither are standing a chance against that salt water. :D

"J"