PDA

View Full Version : CRV Detail

Nikon
07-07-2003, 07:51 PM
This is my Wife`s 2003 CRV that I detailed last week. When she picked it up from the dealer it had considerable swirls, particularly on the hood.

I had never used Klasse or S100 before and having heard so much about these products on Autopia I decided to give them a whirl.

This is what I did:

1 - Wash/dry and clay with Autopia clay and lubricant

2 - DACP entire hood with PC and megs cutting pad (bad swirls and some scratches)

3 - DACP entire hood and several other "trouble spots" with PC and megs polishing pad

4 - #9 entire vehicle with PC and megs finishing pad (PC set to 6)

5 - AIO with PC and megs finishing pad

6 - SG by hand with an Autopia blue handled applicator (twice) - Very nice looking now!

7- S100 topper - WOW that made it come alive!!

I`ve included some pictures. The first one is a mind bender because I used bounce flash at the ceiling (that why the fluorescent lights look green) when photographing the reflection of the ceiling and cabinet off the hood.

Nikon
07-07-2003, 07:54 PM
Here it is outside.

Nikon
07-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Here it is with me in the picture. I use Kodak E100VS slide film, which is has very saturated colour so that is why the sky is so blue. The shirt I`m wearing in reality is a very bright orange and not quite as red as it is showing up here.

Deanski
07-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Ah yes, the dealerships new prep division. Know it well!

"Swirl mark and minor scratch application department"

New Lexus SC430 was a mess. If it was just one step worse, I would have had them pull another one out and taken that one.

Wonderful shine and great write-up on what you did! This is what all of us look for. Yes anyone can make it look great, but to write down the steps is one of our best assets here at Autopia!

Love the slide film! Not too many go to that extreme!

So going forward, we now know when taking delivery on a new car. Avoid: "Swirl mark and minor scratch application department" by all costs!

Regards,

Deanski

disasnguy
07-07-2003, 09:02 PM
that`s unreal

Nikon
07-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by disasnguy

that`s unreal

I know! I`m still amazed. This black has a blue flake in it, which was never noticable from a distance before this. Now you can see a nice blue metalic reflection when it is in direct sun (doesn`t show in the pictures).

dbruene
07-07-2003, 09:46 PM
That`s unbelievable!

Please tell us that there will be posting a full album featuring your CRV soon. Nice photos and incredible work!

Bet I know which brand of film camera you`re using too.

Aloha

:xyxthumbs

Nikon
07-07-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by solara

Please tell us that there will be posting a full album featuring your CRV soon.

Bet I know which brand of film camera you`re using too.

I uploaded two of the pictures to my album. I`ll get some more put up a little later.

To be able to tell what camera I have from that last photo you must have amazing eyesight and know the curves of the camera very well. Even I have a hard time seeing anything distinguishing from looking at that photo.:p

Edit: I just realized what you meant here - Daaaahhh - and my user name does not, oddly enough, reflect the brand of film camera I use. (I feel so stupid for not figuring this out sooner):doh

Tim Lingor
07-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Hey Nikon,

Very, very nice! That is an incredible finish you put on the paint!:xyxthumbs

Cheers!

Tim

shaf
07-07-2003, 10:28 PM
Wow, great work and pictures Nikon! :xyxthumbs

Nikon
07-07-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by 2hotford

Hey Nikon,

Very, very nice! That is an incredible finish you put on the paint!:xyxthumbs

Thanks,

Since this is the first black car I have ever detailed I did some experiementing on the Civic, consulted autopia for answers, and then tested on a small section of the CRV . . . experiment on the Civic . . . consult Autopia . . . test on CRV. After I`d done that a few times I worked out the system and technique that produced the result I was after.

Fr0zen
07-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Very nice I love the reflection of the detailing supplies.