PDA

View Full Version : Is this the right way to do it?

jungli3
07-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Hey guys, new to the autopia, but I`m so glad I found this place. I`ve leard a plethora of information so far.

Anyways, I digress. I was wondering if you guys can tell me if this process seems right to remove some pretty bad swirl marks on my girlfriend`s Red civic. I don`t own a rotary, but I have a PC and pads from CMA.

I start of with dawn wash

clay

#9 or 3M SMR (have both but don`t know which is more abraisive)

Klasse AIO

SG

and topped off with #26 or 3M paste wax.

now, if those steps seem right so far, I`d also like to know which pads I should be using? yellow pad for the SMR/#9; white pad for AIO? Grey for SG? and hand applied wax.

Am I on the right track so far?

Scott P
07-07-2003, 07:42 PM
I would skip the Dawn wash since your polishing steps will strip any wax left on the paint. Allow me to make some modifications to your plan. If the swirls are bad, #9 or 3M SMR won`t take them out. You`ll need something stronger like DACP. Also, applying AIO on top of #9 or 3M SMR will reove those products.

1. Wash car with car soap and dry.

2. Clay entire car to remove surface contaminents.

3. Hit the car with DACP and a yellow pad.

4. Hit the car with #9 or 3M SMR (or AIO) and a white pad

5. Apply several coats of SG allowing time to cure.

6. Top with carnuaba of choice

That`s my reccomendation based on the products you asked about.

shaf
07-07-2003, 10:19 PM
A fine cut product by Meguiar`s or 3M will do too, but with these or DACP you may have to back down to #9 or SMR (take your pick). Sometimes AIO may be enough to take out any hazing they leave behind.

Personally I`d still use AIO if I had it - going right to SG after polishing may or may not be the best thing to do.

jungli3
07-07-2003, 10:57 PM
is AIO similar to SMR in it`s swirl removing properties?

I was thinking about using the wool pad that I`ve got with the CMA kit and the SMR, then using the white foam pad with the AIO to clean up any hazing that may be formed by the wool. (forgive my newbie ignorance if I`m going about this all wrong)

shaf
07-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Tastic

is AIO similar to SMR in it`s swirl removing properties?

I was thinking about using the wool pad that I`ve got with the CMA kit and the SMR, then using the white foam pad with the AIO to clean up any hazing that may be formed by the wool. (forgive my newbie ignorance if I`m going about this all wrong) No, AIO is noticably weaker, but might be strong enough to get rid of any hazing you may get from using a moderate strength pad/product. It depends.

Some people have done things like SMR and wool, but I`ve never tried it myself, and it`s usually suggested to match up the pad and product a bit closer than that. DACP seems to work with yellow or white pads, and the slightly stronger fine cut stuff is usually paired with the yellow I believe.

imported_BretFraz
07-08-2003, 07:33 AM
I agree with those who suggest starting with the Fine Cut and yellow pad, then going to the SMR and white pad. The Fine Cut should level the paint just enough to remove the serious swirls and the SMR should finish off the job perfectly.

jungli3
07-08-2003, 09:52 AM
what would be examples of a fine cut to use with the Yellow Pad?

imported_BretFraz
07-08-2003, 10:10 PM
Both Meguiar`s and 3M offer Fine Cut Cleaners. Meguiar`s is called #2 and 3M calls it a rubbing compound - fine cut. Meg`s can be found at most auto parts stores. 3M may take a little more digging but its out there. Of course plenty of places online sell them.