PDA

View Full Version : I am so confused :`(

JMiles
07-07-2003, 03:14 AM
So I finally ran out of Finish 2001 and now I need something else.

I searched on klassie and aio and all that other good stuff, but really only learned words and not what works with what and now I`m more confused than ever. <sigh>

To the point... I have a black metal flake `93 Lexus with obvious swirls and scratches. It dosen`t really matter to me if it looks perfect. Come on... it`s 11 year old paint.(No clear coat, but yall know that) Also keep in mind this is a two tone, with a silver metal flake around the bottom/trim.

I don`t particularly care how you guys have it turn out. Reflective, or rich color.

Like I hinted on before, It dosen`t particularly matter to me if the swirls show up at this point. However I don`t want 20 million white strips on my car after I finish.

Any suggestions?

1badtaco
07-07-2003, 11:12 AM
i say s100 sec and s100 paste wax. Easy to apply and remove and get great results...btw i used to use many other products cause i thought they were easy and didnt care to much about the overall look like you....now i care and still think that combo is really easy and still gives great results.. so you get what your looking for and than some :D

oh yeah and its not toooo expensive especially since a little product goes a long way :xyxthumbs

my .02

Acura_RL
07-07-2003, 12:28 PM
What I recommend is that you go to autozone and pick up a package of ClayMagic for $10. Claying your car will make a major difference when prepping your finish, and once you try it you`ll see the value of it.

After that, just to get your feet wet into the process, try a 3-step system like Mothers or Meguiars. For kicks you might want to try a Meguiar`s pre-wax cleaner, #7, and #26. It`s a great combo and I`m sure you`ll see an improvement.

Accumulator
07-07-2003, 01:09 PM
JMiles - Welcome to Autopia! Your Mother`s clay is a good product. Or try the Block & Glide from Autopia.

If you want to keep it simple, I`d try Vanilla Moose (or Autoglym`s SRP) topped with EX or Platinum (or Collinite if you want to use a carnauba). These products will give you good, long lasting protection through your hot summer. The VM will do a LITTLE something for your swirls, more than S100 SEC. You will definitely see an improvement over what you`ve been using.

IMO, Zaino and Klasse would make your swirls show up too much. I can`t imagine a reason to use Zymol with all the other products available. P21S/S100 wouldn`t last long enough for me, and are probably more appropriate for a car with better prep than you`re ready to do.

Patrick
07-07-2003, 01:21 PM
I agree with Accumulator...

Clay with new bar...

Mothers pre wax cleaner....(Removes previous stuff and helps cut some swirls down)

Vanilla Moose (to fill with)

Platinum (to seal)

JMiles
07-07-2003, 01:25 PM
Time is fairly well irrelevant. I`m washing it no less than once a week now between the showers we`ve been getting, and hot humid Alabama summer peaking it`s head around. (Car`s outside all the time)

Yeah I have some Mother`s clay still. It`s been doing a good job, but I`m about to throw it out. It`s old and I`m on my last piece. *Should* I swap to any other clay?

I did alot more reading after posting. About 4 am digging around searching.

What about zymol, s100 and clearkoat? I really liked STEEDA#30`s mustang.

(ooo he sat something on the hood, that`s a big no no LoL! Nothing tocuhes my old worn out paint without permission)

I`m not sure I want to get into any of the Z`s. The Finish 2001 I`ve been using dose a pretty good job hiding most of the swirl marks, but I can`t imagine being able to see them all very well. That would not look very good LoL!

JMiles
07-07-2003, 01:29 PM
Erm, was on a friends computer when I posted that so it was in his name.

I only though about zymol because whatever steeda did looked great on his mustang.

BTW my last piece of clay is unused.

Token Ram
07-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Accumulator, has it down. I would use what he suggests.

JMiles
07-07-2003, 03:26 PM
I`m thinking about DACP, VM, EX and P21S?

Patrick
07-07-2003, 04:15 PM
DACP, VM, EX and P21S?

Good combo, will however require a PC for adequate applicaton of the Megs product and satisfactory results....

Course if time isnt an issue, you`ll have plenty of time to build forearms and shoulders without it !!

Old Rattle Flat
07-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Second (or 3rd) on the EX. I just applied some to a neightbor`s black car that has more than it`s fair share of scratches, and the results were outstanding.

shaf
07-07-2003, 06:26 PM
Wow, if you`re considering DACP, VM, EX, and P21S, that`s a pretty darn big step up from just Finish 2001! Just be sure you`re aware that it`s a lot more time and effort invested in the operation, since that pretty much constitutes a "serious" Autopian approach! ;)

Mothers clay is good, use up that last piece. :up

The routine you`re considering is good, and do-able by hand, but be prepared for a bit of a workout, or you could do what one person did and stretch it out over several days one section at a time. A PC saves you effort and time, but makes a good long-term investment. If you think you`d like to simplify the job a bit, you could just cut it down to:

DACP, VM, EX or P21S

JMiles
07-07-2003, 07:44 PM
It`s ok. I have all summer and am not intimidated by it.

It`s not like anyone`s gonna be able to notice if I put a few more swirl marks in it at this point ;)

I have a cheap PC knockoff thing, but I`d never use that on a real car. A friend gave it too me after we had to use some compound on his `70ish Chevy truck to get back to real paint.

All joking aside I wax it now every two weeks. That Finish beads for a month or two, but stops looking good very in a hurry. I might as well take care of it while I have the spare time to do so.

Not planning on going all out compitition style like apparantly many of yall do, but it will damn well look better by the time I finish. There`s enough paint left on it to polish it up nicely I think.

I`m not sure how I`m going to spread it out right now. I`ll have to read the directions on all the stuff for setting and drying time ect.

Forearm stregnth is not a problem. Former SEC marching drummer teaching some HS kids this summer. On a workout program from another drummer that`s also a Green Beret.

I doubt caring for a car could begin to compete with what he`s been having me do the last few weeks, yeeeouch!

Anyways. It`ll be several weeks before I start. No money and having to come up with two insurance, living and tuition all due in September.

Weee got a new job, oughta have a nice chunk of change to devote to the car in three weeks.

Patrick
07-07-2003, 09:51 PM
I doubt caring for a car could begin to compete with what he`s been having me do the last few weeks, yeeeouch!

hehehehehe, he doesnt know does he.......:cool:

It`s not like anyone`s gonna be able to notice if I put a few more swirl marks in it at this point no no no no no !! Thats not why you signed up on this board !!! We work the opposite here, we try to remove swirls !! Were religious about it !!

JMiles
07-07-2003, 11:44 PM
All joking aside