PDA

View Full Version : Need help covering key scratches on paint

PerfectionDetailing
07-06-2003, 08:08 PM
A good friend of mine left his year old black volvo out at night and some vandal keyed it on both the left and right sides from the front quarter panel to the rear.

I felt bad because It was his pride and joy and I taught him the autopia way of maintaining it. Well I went over and surveyed the damage. It was bad but not so bad. meaning it could have been worse with a fatter key, but the scratches were all still down to the white primer.

Here is what I did.

I used scratch X on all of the keyed areas and it seemed to make the marks less evident. It seemed to fill them in or make some dissapear. After that I used glaze and s100. I didnt have any other products available. It seemed to cover the majority of the scratches. Standing up next to the car you couldnt see the scratches. If you crouch down and viewed the scratches at eye level they are pretty evident.

My question is what more can be done to cover these unsightly scratches. Is there any black product that can be used to cover the white in somce of the scratches? Does anyone have any other ideas?

BradE
07-06-2003, 08:13 PM
He can get some factory touch up paint from the dealer, clean, prep, fill, then wetsand to blend those areas.

Works like a champ. It`s pretty involved, and it`s not something for a newbie who`s never done it before.

Fr0zen
07-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Yeah I think DavidB has a step by step tutorial on how to do that someone else also did one. It can certantly be done though.

Ryan
07-08-2003, 03:50 PM
If you dont mind a less than perfect finish then use a razor blade edge and dab some paint on the blade then apply it using the blades edge in the scratch. It will at least be black and not so notiecable, in away.