PDA

View Full Version : Need a little more aggressiveness than FI-II for swirls>>>

WS6Fury
07-06-2003, 02:19 PM
figuring on doing my Jetta today since its nice out. Wooped out the bottle of FI-II and went to work on a small section of my hood to see what the results would be, and to my surprise, not much happended:eek: :rolleyes: Great, I still see a good amount of swirls in the paint. It is really sunny out today which helps me see everything.

Now I have to find something I can use which is a little stronger than FI-II that will get those deeper hairlines out of the paint. I just don`t want to cut too much into the clear b/c I already gave the car a makeover when I first got the car in February.

Car is a daily driver so picks up a lot of trash and a lot of abuse.

What should I get??

Ryan
07-06-2003, 02:29 PM
I know what you are talking abou. Try a High Speed machine with some HS compound. If you have to use the orbital then stick with the 3M FI2. It should make a noticeable difference. You have to remember that in most cases swirls will always be present no matter how much compounding you do. Just dont over do it is all I am saying:)

Ryan

WS6Fury
07-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Yeah, unfortunately no high speed machine available. Oh, forgot to mention I`m using the yellow CMA pad.

Tried doing two coats, but the same swirls are still there.:nixweiss

imported_Smoker
07-06-2003, 03:25 PM
DACP or Diamond Cut.

DACP would be my first choice.

Go steady with the Diamond Cut tho.. its pretty agressive but as long as your only using a PC you should be fine.

I guess Diamond Cut and a rotary would rip into the paint wayyyy too hard.

I would be very surprised if either of those products didnt at least reduce the swirls to the point the few remaining deep ones could be hidden with a good glaze.

Ryan
07-06-2003, 04:50 PM
My jetta was recently done. I mean compunded it thouroughly, as much as the clear would allow, and still there are swirls. Light ones in the sun. They could be cared for but would require really aggressive techniques.

Ryan

MnRiverman
07-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Just how bad are these swirls?

I did FI-II on my sisters beetle which has been abused and mistreated for 3 years, washed with brushes at the dealer, etc etc, and I managed to get her hood perfect.

It took two coats of FI-II with a cutting pad at speed of 4 and moderate pressure.

I haven`t had anything that I can`t remove with FI-II.

I then followed up with SMR and a coat of wax and it surely was amazing. A nice dark purple/blue color too. :thumbup:

What color is your jetta? Galactic Blue? Black? Green?

- Anthony

Ryan
07-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Some paints are wierd and have deep swirls that lighten up but never dissapear. My Atlantic Blue jetta happens to be the case, but still outshines any other in town.

The car is 3 years old and has been regularly compounded due to the crappy conditions here in my area. Hand washes killed my finish this past winter and I regret ever stopping there. It only took one wash. just pure laziness on my part. Most likely I will pull the swirls out when I sell it. The new car will be another VW and I get to start all over again. This time being wiser and definitely garaged.

Ryan