PDA

View Full Version : I`ve ruined my paint!! Need advice

cerdas
07-03-2003, 07:38 PM
I wasn`t sure wher to post this, but because it might be a learning experience for others I put it in University.

Anyways...HELP!!! I was trying to fix a pretty deep stone chip on my hood, using the method that the Mayor outlined in the ebook. When it came to wetsanding the blob of paint, I thought that I was completely prepared. I put a huge dab of car soap on the paint blob, soaked the sanding block(1000 grit), and proceed to sand towards me only, with no pressure. I only did this a dozen times at the most, and the chip felt evened out. when I wiped away the soapy water I saw THESE!!!

http://home.grandecom.net/~rwilsher/pictures/damage.jpg

I guess the sanding block was not completely flat! I didn`t know what to do, so I went and used the rubbing compound, followed by 3M SMR, hoping it would go away..and it didn`t. Does it look like the clearcoat is gone? Should I keep rubbing this out, or is that only going to cause more damage? anyone have an idea what it costs to get a hood repainted?

I`m probably going to be getting a stone deflector anyways, and that will cover it. But I`m freaking out over this. I couldn`t sleep last night. I can`t believe that I have maintained that paint so carefully only to DESTROY it all by myself.

If anybody has advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Please forgive how dirty the car is, I was going to do a full detail on the 4th.

http://home.grandecom.net/~rwilsher/pictures/damage2.jpg

:scared :scared :scared :scared :scared :scared

Poorboy
07-03-2003, 10:07 PM
1,000 grit:scared do you have body shop experience?

you should have gone no lower than 2,000grit..it`s very well possible you went right through the clearcoat.....did you see any color when you used the compound or smr?

Since it`s already pretty bad looking you might want to get some 2,000 or 2,500 grit and do some light sanding to remove the deep marks..this is only if you saw no color....otherwise it`s off to the body shop and an expensive lesson learned:rolleyes:

e-mail me if you want to discuss this further...

imported_Smoker
07-03-2003, 10:12 PM
1000 grit is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too coarse for wetsanding out stone chips!!

Even bodyshops don`t use stuff that brutal.

As poorboy said - 2000 is as coarse as you wanted to go.

Without seeing it in real life I couldnt tell you how far down you`ve gone.

I`ve had success using Diamond Cut to buff out 2000 grit marks completely - maybe you want to try that.

It needs a machine and quite a few passes to get it all out tho.

Maybe `ask a pro` ?

cerdas
07-03-2003, 11:42 PM
Obviously I don`t have any bodyshop experience, or I wouldn`t be having this problem. I just assumed the 1000 grit couldn`t possibly be that much more destructive than 1200 grit(what David uses in the ebook). It`s what I had on hand.

I didn`t see any color when I used the rubbing compound, and it`s impossible to tell with the grey SMR.There aren`t any deep marks, it still looks pretty smooth, but it`s the pale spots that stick out and bother me.

If it can`t be fixed ,it`ll just get covered up by the stone deflector I was getting anyways. Maybe this is the motivation I needed to get that `````in` flame job.

smdetail
07-04-2003, 12:11 AM
Looks like you have gone thru the clear coat. 1000 grit is too coarse and you have rub too much on the surface.

You`re in a better position than me. Last time, i scratched my new car rear fender against a wall. Due to the location, i would have to re-spray almost half the car to rectify it and blend in the re-painting with the rest of the car. End up i didn`t go ahead with the re-spray and just live with the small defect.

In your case, you shouldn`t lose sleep over it. Just re-spray the bonnet only and you will be very happy again.