PDA

View Full Version : Roof just painted and can`t wax-need alternative

Pages : [1] 2

MattB
07-03-2003, 06:32 PM
My car was vandalized a few months back and as a result the roof had to be repainted. The guys at the body shop told me to not wax the car for 90 days (got it back in late May). Is there a product I could use to make my car bright and shiny that won`t affect the new finish?

Spilchy
07-03-2003, 06:34 PM
I`ve heard of people using 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.

If you do a search, you`ll see this has been mentioned.

MattB
07-03-2003, 06:37 PM
I did a search and I didn`t really find much useful, but then again I don`t know very much about auto detailing so I probably overlooked it...

2wheelsx2
07-03-2003, 06:38 PM
Any of the "pure polishes" (Meguiar`s terminology) like #7, IHG, Mother`s Sealer and Glaze, will work to keep the paint shiny and clean, without sealing it. But you have to remember that there is no UV protection during that time, so minimizing driving it would be a good idea, during that period.

MattB
07-03-2003, 06:41 PM
I`ve been keeping it out of direct sun as much as possible, even though when I asked about it the body shop said it wouldn`t be an issue. OT, but why can`t I wax new paint?

rstype
07-03-2003, 08:27 PM
Go ahead and use Zaino on your freshly painted roof. It`s non-abrasive and offers UV protection.

www.zainostore.com

Black Bird SC
07-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Do not use Zaino, or any sealer or wax for that matter. Fresh paint needs time to cure, which is when certain chemicals in the paint evaporate and the paint fully hardens. If you seal the paint, it cant cure, and it will never fully harden or bond. Abrasives don`t matter, shops buff paint right out of the booth. If you see some swirls, you can use a product like SMR or DACP to clean them up, but until those 90 days are up just QD the heck out of it.

tguil
07-03-2003, 10:02 PM
I`ve had the same problem lots of times. I`ve been messing with detailing for over 40 years. I`ve made lots of trips to the body shop too. The new paint needs to cure. It shouldn`t be sealed with a wax or a sealant. It will be OK to use Mequiar`s # 7. If your car was painted in May, for sure it would be OK to use #7 now. I usually wait six months before "sealing" freshly painted areas.

Tom :cool:

JasonC8301
07-03-2003, 11:41 PM
I believe Zaino should be ok, along with BW. Its been mentioned that Mr. Zaino himself was a car painter for a period of time. I think he developed Zaino to protect his work (I`ve seen a piece of his work, sweeeeeet) so I would go along with BW and say Zaino could be applied to paint after a week out of the shop.

Here is the thread....

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11142

Andre'
07-04-2003, 02:10 AM
I also agree with Jason and BW. Most of the solvents evaporate in the first few hours anyway. On fresh finishes i use Wizards Shine master sealant glaze, it says right on the bottle it can be used on freshly painted finishes.

MattB
07-05-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Black Bird SC

Do not use Zaino, or any sealer or wax for that matter. Fresh paint needs time to cure, which is when certain chemicals in the paint evaporate and the paint fully hardens. If you seal the paint, it cant cure, and it will never fully harden or bond. Abrasives don`t matter, shops buff paint right out of the booth. If you see some swirls, you can use a product like SMR or DACP to clean them up, but until those 90 days are up just QD the heck out of it.

What`s QD? The "quick detail" mist you can get at Auto Zone like the Meguiar`s stuff?

Black Bird SC
07-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Yes, QD is a quick detailer such as Meguiar`s Quick Detailer or Megruiar`s Final Inspection. Other ones you can find locally are made by Eagle One and Mothers to name a few. And Andre brought up a good point about the Wizards product. It is a breathable sealer specifically made for fresh paint. Only downside is it doesn`t last that long. And as far as Zaino is concerned, maybe Sal formulated it to be breathable? I don`t know.

rstype
07-05-2003, 07:40 PM
It`s been known to Autopia for some time, that paint does not "breathe." Neither does it need to be feeded with coconut oils. Once the clear is on, it`s done.

Also, most OTC QD`s including Meguiar`s QuikDetailer contain silicones - a big no, no when repainting.

MattB
07-05-2003, 08:25 PM
So I shouldn`t use it?

MattB
07-05-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by JasonC8301

I believe Zaino should be ok, along with BW. Its been mentioned that Mr. Zaino himself was a car painter for a period of time. I think he developed Zaino to protect his work (I`ve seen a piece of his work, sweeeeeet) so I would go along with BW and say Zaino could be applied to paint after a week out of the shop.

Here is the thread....

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11142

And it says in this thread not to let the water "spot"....but that`s almost inevitable when it rains....the guy at the bodyshop said it would be fine through any kind of rain/machine car wash/anything. Who`s right?

Also, since Zaino has no silicone or any stuff like that, which one of their product should I use? :confused: