PDA

View Full Version : Can PC get out Swirls?

imported_buffer
07-03-2003, 10:19 AM
I am going to do my girlfriends black car on the weekend. She does have quite a few swirls on it and I was wondering if you can get rid of them using a PC. I don`t want to bother with hidding them as I think it is pointless if they come back in a couple of washes. I have been reading some posts and a product that looked good was 3M`s Medium Cut Cleaner. I would probably start with somethign finer.

imported_phareous
07-03-2003, 10:51 AM
Do a search as there is tons of stuff on this I have read. If the swirls are really bad you may want to use Meguiars Diamond Cut. Then follow up with DACP or All in One. Everything I have read says you can get out swirls in most cases using a PC but it may take a lot of work to do. I`m actually going to be doing mine in the next week or two (I have a black Honda Accord that has tons of swirls).

//MMMGood
07-03-2003, 12:24 PM
You probably don`t need anything as strong as medium cut cleaner

pward76
07-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Buffer -

1) A PC will most assuredly get swirls out.

2) Always try to start with the least abrasive compund that will do the job. This requires a little experimentation on each car you do. If using a PC, you might start with some Menzerna FP or similar Meguiar`s product on a white foam polishing pad and see how that looks, If that doesn`t "cut" it, try going to a yellow foam cutting pad. Keep stepping up the abrasive in increments (next might be Menzerna IP or DACP) until you find what works, then work your way back down, removing any hazing until you are happy with the end result and then protect the finish with a glaze or polymer or wax or whatever you like - again, experimentation (and reading this forum for ideas) will help you decide on what you like.

3) Be advised, MCRC WILL leave hazing on a black car, and you WILL have to use a less aggressive product to polish it out. Even the Fine Cut Rubbing Compound will leave hazing. Not necessarily a bad thing, if you need to use it to get the swirls out, but additional steps take more time and effort.

jmsc
07-03-2003, 12:44 PM
I`d say 98% of my swirls and scratches just recently. The remaining 2% does not warrant a rotary. I will attempt those by hand using something aggressive like #4 or #1 or 3M RC. If they don`t come out they will surely be lessenned.

Its really a matter of technique, the right pads coupled with the right compounds/polishes (very very important) and lots of time and patience. It took me 2 days to do my car.

I used the Menzerna trifecta, Mothers Sealer & Glaze (great stuff used it for the 1st time), topped with an old favorite of mine thats not mentioned on here often called Harly Paste Wax. Thats why it took me 2 days. Alot of work. The Menzerna setup the swirl-free surface and the S&G/Harly combo put on an impressive hi-gloss finish that really brightened the paint ala GEPC/P21S Wax. And above all, it looks great.

suginami
07-03-2003, 07:10 PM
I went to a full day training session that Mike Phillips put on for a local Mercedes club, and he desribed the PC as a "jiggle machine".

It will only remove very, very minor paint scratches and imperfections.

The PC is a more effective tool at saving your muscles and allowing you to more evenly and effectively apply product.

They are, however, very ineffective at removing product.

I have a PC, and use it very seldom (maybe once / year).

I have had good experiences with using my DeWalt rotary buffer, but it takes some practice.

Just my $.02 (and with another $0.98 you can buy a cup of coffee).:D

shaf
07-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by suginami

I went to a full day training session that Mike Phillips put on for a local Mercedes club, and he desribed the PC as a "jiggle machine".

It will only remove very, very minor paint scratches and imperfections.Mike Phillips also told me he has never used a PC with wool pads before, and the Archives and other threads should have quite a few stories of people using an appropriately aggressive combo of pad and product to fix some pretty bad problems. Alboston has a writeup using wool in the Hall of Fame.

suginami
07-04-2003, 04:39 PM
I don`t think Mike would be in favor of using wool pads - ever.

He`s probably posted on the merits of using the foam pads.

2wheelsx2
07-04-2003, 05:09 PM
I don`t want to speak for Mike, but it seems to me that he doesn`t recommend using wool pads because they generate a lot of heat, which is why he uses a rotary. Whether you use a rotary with a cutting foam pad, or a PC with a wool pad, you are arriving at the same bottom line, which is generating a lot of heat and cutting deeper into the clear coat. For most casual detailers, it`s tough to justify getting a rotary for those once a year jobs which a PC might not be able to handle. Much cheaper to go with a more aggressive compound and pad. Granted, it`ll take more time, which is less important for an enthusiast than a pro.

suginami
07-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

I don`t want to speak for Mike, but it seems to me that he doesn`t recommend using wool pads because they generate a lot of heat, which is why he uses a rotary. Whether you use a rotary with a cutting foam pad, or a PC with a wool pad, you are arriving at the same bottom line, which is generating a lot of heat and cutting deeper into the clear coat. For most casual detailers, it`s tough to justify getting a rotary for those once a year jobs which a PC might not be able to handle. Much cheaper to go with a more aggressive compound and pad. Granted, it`ll take more time, which is less important for an enthusiast than a pro.

I think I agree with your comments exactly.

The rotary is not for most people, not even the average obsessive compulsive, anal-retentive detailer like most of those who post on this site.

I just think that the PC is not the machine of choice for removing more than the most minor of imperfections.

imported_BretFraz
07-04-2003, 05:41 PM
So if a rotary is not for most people...... and a PC is not the machine of choice for removing minor imperfections..... what is the answer for people looking for advice as to what machine (if any) to buy?

rstype
07-04-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

So if a rotary is not for most people...... and a PC is not the machine of choice for removing minor imperfections..... what is the answer for people looking for advice as to what machine (if any) to buy?

A Scottwax... :p ;)

suginami
07-04-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

No, actually the machine of choice for removing minor imperfections is the PC.