PDA

View Full Version : Dawn wash?

CuriousJa
07-02-2003, 11:22 PM
if i do a Dawn wash, then AIO, topped with Souveran will that give me a better shine then just washing with a shampoo, then AIO, topped with Souveran?? my other question is....ive heard that washing with Dawn is bad for the paint, that it can actually diminish the shine...so is Dawn really that bad for my car and will it do any damage at all to it?, as in weaking the clearcoat or shine? i plan on keeping this car for many years to come so i do not want to do anything that will harm it or weaken it in any way. Thanks- Ja:up

P.S.- i was thinking that a Dawn wash followed by AIO might be too much and weaken or harm my finish??

andriver
07-02-2003, 11:39 PM
Dawn will effectively strip old wax and glaze from your paint. Used everyone once in awhile, it should not have your paint. This is just part of prepping your paint for glaze and wax.

CuriousJa
07-02-2003, 11:43 PM
so youre saying that a Dawn wash followed by AIO will not harm or weaken my finish, as in removing clearcoat or paint?

Scott301
07-02-2003, 11:48 PM
I saw once on that show "Crank and Chrome" ( I think it changed it`s name again) a segment on detailing and they were talking about how washing your car with dish soap can soften the paint. Who knows but just thought I would mention it.

Brad

Jngrbrdman
07-02-2003, 11:58 PM
Dawn will not strip your paint. Neither will AIO. They are both safe enough for occasional use.

andriver
07-02-2003, 11:58 PM
Hey CuriousJa, I honestly do not think using dawn at the most twice a year will harm your paint. I use it twice a year to strip and prep my paint for glazing and waxing. Good luck....Andrew

CuriousJa
07-03-2003, 12:04 AM
ok thanks for the replies everyone :-) but as for the first part of my question what do you think?.......
Originally posted by CuriousJa

if i do a Dawn wash, then AIO, topped with Souveran will that give me a better shine then just washing with a shampoo, then AIO, topped with Souveran??

andriver
07-03-2003, 12:10 AM
You will see the benefits of AIO & Souveran if you prep the paint correctly by stripping old wax with dawn. You should also consider claying your car after the wash for proper prepping....Andrew

CuriousJa
07-03-2003, 12:19 AM
im a little scared to clay (lol this is all my first attempt at "proper detailing" and just the begining of a long journey untill i become a "true autopian") but i must say, the paint on my vette seems to be in great condition, very shinny and smooth even with just a light wash. there is TINY little microscopic "scratches" or "swirl marks" in it though. but im also a lil worried about using an abrasive to remove a layer of clearcoat or paint???