PDA

View Full Version : New car tips?

hammondc
08-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Welcome to me. New to the forum, 1st post. I bought a 2004 Toyota Tacoma (Black) yesterday. This is my first ever `brand new` car. I usually buy cars pre-owned. I am very picky about detailing and have only ever used high quality stuff. I have been told that I need to use a product to remove all of the shipping residue etc from the paint. Any suggestions? Thanks folks!

bigron62
08-22-2004, 03:15 PM
it looks like tou got it covered although i would add a good polish to give it that extra sparkle

Hawaiianelement
08-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Welcome to DC , you might have the dealers prep products also on your car . You know some dealer will use some spray wax before you take delivery . I would use dawn detergent soap to strip everything off your vehicle . dont use this on a regular basis but just when you want a clean slate to start with . Use 2 buckets when washing , 1 for soap and 1 for clean water to rinse you mitt out incase you got some dirt stuck in your wash rag/mitt.

Use the clay bar thoroughly and you`re ready for polish , sealant , then wax.

Congrats on your new purchase..

jeff2417
08-22-2004, 03:59 PM
HEED THIS ADVICE:

Never go to an automatic carwash, nor use a brush (unless it`s boar`s hair) for your new ride....It`s in the Detailing 10 commandments. I think the Fuzz or Poorboy have the last earthly copy.

jeff.

hammondc
08-22-2004, 05:36 PM
ohhh beleive me.I am extremely anal about washing. A brush never ever touches my car and if I drop the mit, I get a new one and use the old one for the tires and trim. Also, can u folks suggest a polish and sealant? I have Meguiars show car polish. Is there a better product? My last 2 cars have been silver and I have never had to deal with black much so it is new territory for me. Thnx for the help guys!!

jeff2417
08-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by hammondc
ohhh beleive me.I am extremely anal about washing. A brush never ever touches my car and if I drop the mit, I get a new one and use the old one for the tires and trim. Also, can u folks suggest a polish and sealant? I have Meguiars show car polish. Is there a better product? My last 2 cars have been silver and I have never had to deal with black much so it is new territory for me. Thnx for the help guys!!

OMG, you came to the right place for advice. Megs show car glaze is good stuff, hard to work with though. I would personally go with Klasse All-In-One followed by Klasse Sealant Glaze then a nice Carnauba Topper like Trade Secret or P21S. That should do the trick on Black. Another great product is 4 star`s Ultimate Paint Pre-Cleaner and Ultimate Paint Protection. Check em out on Dwayne`s site

www.premiumautocare.com

Later!
Jeff.

Boss_429
08-22-2004, 06:58 PM
hammondc,

The guys have given you some great products, and I`m sure more will come. I`ll take add some different suggestions............

You have a black vehicle, it will get spider webs very easily.............. use the highest lubrication car wash, safest mitt`s and towels you can buy. Also, use the safest QD you can afford............. I recommend Poorboy`s S & W for regular QD maintenance. Then get a higher gloss QD for the final QD.

rollman
08-22-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by jeff2417
I would personally go with Klasse All-In-One followed by Klasse Sealant Glaze then a nice Carnauba Topper like Trade Secret or P21S. Check em out on Dwayne`s site

www.premiumautocare.com

Later!
Jeff.

:yeah And never never let terry cloth towels touch the paint. MF towels only :bigups BTW :welcome to the DC . Good luck with your new truck . :dcrules

jaybs02
08-22-2004, 07:33 PM
:welcome
and congratulations on the new ride.

"J"

hammondc
08-22-2004, 08:19 PM
any other suggestions for black? Also, I have a small buffer (like 5" i think). Should I use it? If so, where can I get good quality pads for it and which ones should I get?

zesty-man
08-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by jeff2417
HEED THIS ADVICE:

Never go to an automatic carwash, nor use a brush (unless it`s boar`s hair) for your new ride....It`s in the Detailing 10 commandments. I think the Fuzz or Poorboy have the last earthly copy.

jeff.

GOOD ADVICE. dont ever take it to the car wash. my mom did once (behind my back), and now my mom`s hood is scared with some weird stuff that wont come off with ssr 2.5.......... i think i may have to ask ranney to borrow his rotary......

JaredPointer
08-23-2004, 08:08 AM
Welcome to DC. Clay the truck.