PDA

View Full Version : help!!! bumper damage!!

shyne
07-02-2003, 03:38 PM
so my friend got her car swiped in her rear bumper today. It was one of those idiots that dont know how to get out of parking spaces, so when they pull out they swipe the side of your bumper leave marks and scratches, but in this case the other car`s paint, which is blue, is on her bumper.

what would you guys sugguest i do to help her? my guess was some abrasives with a polishing device?

imported_DetailGirl
07-02-2003, 10:11 PM
Use a rubbing compound on it, it`ll take it right off. Don`t use a machine on it, because of the edges, it`s real easy to make big mistakes. just a little rubbing compound and some elbow grease and you`re set to go. Good luck!

shyne
07-02-2003, 11:44 PM
i got some 3m rubbing compund fine cut, will that be good? last time i already had enough trouble using that by hand on my paint trying to remove swrils.

2wheelsx2
07-03-2003, 01:14 AM
I would even try just some paint cleanser, like Mother`s Pre-Wax cleaner, to see how much is reemoved. Then move to 3M SMR, the DACP, prior to using any rubbing compound. I would also try claying.

Basically, the paint has been scraped already, so I would take it easy on it, and use the gentlest method possible to remove the other car`s paint.

Accumulator
07-03-2003, 09:35 AM
shyne- Try the claying FIRST. This happened to my late father`s car all the time, and clay was the answer. No need for any abrasives in most cases.

shyne
07-04-2003, 01:31 AM
i went to take a look at the car today, the damage was different from what i thought. whoever hit her car was a real *******. they swiped the rear section of her car, basically from the rear wheel well to the door. i got some of the stuff out, but i coulnt get the blue out. the scratches that were left were kinda hard to get out, they are still very visible. i used a paint cleaner, claybar and rubbing compund, the best result was the paint cleaner. most the marks were still there.

what else should i try? thanks for the help so far

Bill D
07-05-2003, 04:28 PM
Perhaps, very lightly, use 2000 grit and (2000 is the lighter grade of the 2)1500 grit sandpaper. Use it wet, spray the paper and the area with detailing spray or at least, water. Go lightly and be sure to keep the area wet. When you want to stop to check your progress, you`ll notice the paint will look very dull, this is normal, when you`re entirely done you`ll need to polish the area with the swirl remover and/or glaze and then finally protect with wax or sealant.

Take plenty of time doing this. It`s best to use the sand paper lightly for longer intervals of time than to scrub with it for a shorter amount of time. You will be removing the damaged area of paint.

2000 and 1500 grit sand paper is availible in a good parts store like Pep Boys