PDA

View Full Version : Cat`s clawed my car. How to remove scratches?

Mantic6t9
07-02-2003, 01:07 PM
I have a problem with cats scratching up my car at night when i can`t garage it. It has literaly hundreds if not thousands of scratches because of this. The scratches don`t seem to be very deep though i`m sure some are. The car is white and i`m looking for advice on what to buy and do to remove the scratches.

Spilchy
07-02-2003, 01:22 PM
:welcome

Declaw the cat. My little rascal can`t cause anymore damage!

If you use the search function, you will find loads of feedback concerning scratches.

Many people like to use Meguiars #9 or 3M Swirl Mark Remover for this sort of problem. It`s a nice surface prep in the detailing process. Many use them with a polisher like the Porter Cable and a polishing pad.

Also, review the detailing tips avaialble here http://www.autopia-carcare.com/detailingtips1.html

imported_phareous
07-02-2003, 01:37 PM
If it didn`t go through the base coat you may be able to get it out using a hand product like ScratchX. If its deeper you`ll probably need to have a buffer and the proper stuff to do it. You may also try a rubbing compound but you will want do some searches here and figure out what is safe and what is not.

Mantic6t9
07-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Well i would have them declawed but there are 8 of them and about 6 others that aren`t mine. The cat population here is out of hand. The kittens love to play on my cars and there isn`t much i can do it about it at times. I`ve let it go for over 3 month now and the cars paint is in pretty bad shape. I want to be able to do this by hand, as i would have no other need for a PC. It seems like i should give 3m scratch remover a try or use that tube of gs27 i`ve had for years but to scared to apply.

Isabelle Tibbitts
07-02-2003, 02:01 PM
I have the same problem with the neighbourhood cats...

How about buying a car cover ??

endus
07-02-2003, 03:11 PM
shouldn`t declaw the cats if their outdoor...

That is unbelievable. I would sue the owners or start calling animal control. Yea it seems like making a big deal, but you`re talking about thousands of dollars of damage to your car. I love cats but there is no reason why you should have to pay for people who choose not to control their animals and keep them from damaging others` property.

You can polish the scratches out if they are light, but if it`s through to the primer (you can feel it with your fingernail) there`s no siolution except paint.

1badtaco
07-02-2003, 03:22 PM
my roomates freakin cat stays outside and the damn! thing always sitts on my car and outs paw prints and scratches on my truck....are there things to keep cats off my truck

Mantic6t9
07-02-2003, 04:48 PM
Well i tried the GS-27 on my green car and it took the scratches out. I`m waiting to wash the white on and see how it work on it. I`m hopeing most of the scratches will come out. I almost have to do the entire car. Wish me luck.

Magellan498
07-02-2003, 04:53 PM
Like someone said before, search the forum!

There are many de-catting methods that have been discussed here before. *evil grin*

cmk-2
07-02-2003, 05:53 PM
personally i would use a paint ballgun on the damn animals keeps the buggers off and is great stress relief :xyxthumbs

Mantic6t9
07-02-2003, 07:21 PM
A paint ball car seriously hurt a cat. I don`t want that pluse i`m sure i can get into legal trouble for that.

You guys are getting way off topic here. I asked for advice on how to remove the scratches, not how to protect my car. I know how to do that!

turnipgreen
07-03-2003, 09:07 AM
I had a similar situation with my dogs rearing up on my cars. Left scratches down the side. First time I took care of it I used 3M SMR by hand. It worked fine, was a lot of work. Past weekend I finally got to use SMR with my Dewalt random orbital buffer and it worked fine and was not as difficult.

Moridin
07-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Try peeling a few oranges and leave the peels around the area. That should keep them away. It works for me. For some reason, they do not like the smell of them.

Pete