PDA

View Full Version : polish/glaze/zaino

SK2003TypeS
07-02-2003, 11:00 AM
When I first started with Zaino, I did not polish or glaze. At the time, I was very confused about polish and glaze. And now, after reading some more I think I`m even more confused.

What I did in the past was:

Dawn wash, Clay, Dawn wash, Dry, ***, Z5/ZFX, Z6, Z2/ZFX, Z6, Z5/ZFX, Z6, Z2/ZFX

So before doing any of the Zaino steps next time, I`d like to polish and add a glaze to my procedure. So I`d like to add the following steps to the *** above.

Apply Polish with a foam applicator

(Pinnacle, P21S or Meg. Medalion) - Any suggestions ? I`m leaning towards P21S.

Remove with MF towels

Apply Meg. #7 Glaze (foam applicator)

Remove with MF towels

Now another thing that I`ve been reading, is that polishing is a lot better (on both bodies) if you use a PC. I don`t have one (...yet) and have been doing everything by hand. So is it imperative that I get a PC at this stage ? I`m more concerned with the body on the car.

As far as the color goes, I`ve read that some products are "better" for darker vs. lighter colors. Please take a look at my gallery or website. I was told once "Hey, that`s a really nice darkish lightish blue"....(you can`t make this stuff up).

Bonding - With any combination of the above products, will there be an issue with the Zanio bonding ? I`ve read the #7 write up in the Hall of fame and plan to remove it in stages as recommended.

After the #7 Glaze, do you wash again to get rid of the oils ? Or will the staged removal do it all.

What am I totally missing here ? Suggestions ?

Thanks,

Scott

Magellan498
07-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Well, let me see if I can clear this up for you.

The purpose of the glaze is to add oils and what not to cover up imperfections in the paint. Now Zaino and other sealants need a pretty clean surface to bond properly which is why sealants and glazes aren`t friends.

So you see, if you are going to apply Zaino, using #7 will stop it from properly bonding and if you remove the #7 you might as well have not put it on at all.

With Zaino or any other sealant for that matter, its best to have as near perfect a surface as possible to seal. Polish that thing till you are satisfied and be warned that Zaino is notorious for magnifying swirls as well as other imperfections.

Hope this helps.

SK2003TypeS
07-02-2003, 03:10 PM
Thanx for the feedback.

It seems like #7 is a very oily product (as stated in the Mike Phillips write up). So I guess I`m just not clear when or what you would use it with. Just checking my options. The thing that got me interested was the "wettness" factor. When I did my car with the Zaino alone it was slick, reflective and the protection seemed to have lasted long. So overall, I was happy with the results. But it does look kind of "flat".

Here is my car

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1801&papass=&sort=1

Please don`t get the wrong idea. I am in no way trying to compare my abilities to ScottWax. This is just one amazing job that has shown me I have a long...long way to go. Ok, I see that S100 PC and wax was used here and I`ve heard that a lot of people have been putting S100 on top of Zaino with success. So I guess I`ll try P21S cleaner and top off with S100. Hopefully I`ll get a little more "whoa" out of my car.

I`m always speechless when I see this pic. :bow :bow :bow

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=37&papass=&sort=1

Magellan498
07-03-2003, 08:35 AM
Yea, no problem.

Just keep working at it, soon enough you`ll have ScottWax-like results.

Also, I don`t know if you`ve tried this or not, but it`s quite a common practice to apply a sealant like Zaino to get the reflectivity and protection and then top the Zaino with your favorite carnuaba (P21S/S100, etc.) to get that wet deep look. Its the best of both worlds!

SK2003TypeS
07-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I`ve read that a lot here. Thanks. Planning on doing that next time. Still deciding on PPCL, P21S or Medallion for a cleaner. The paint is still relatively new (about 8 months).

2wheelsx2
07-03-2003, 01:12 PM
IMO, if you wanted to top the sealant, I would not go with Zaino. There are other sealants which work better with toppers. Klasse, BF, and PUPP, to name a few. And with BF and PUPP, you can use #7 or a true glaze underneath. As a matter of fact, I just try that last night, #7/PUPP and was very please with the results.

I don`t think Zaino is going to give you that deep dark shine you are looking for. Z is known for its reflectivity, and not depth.