PDA

View Full Version : Band-aid washing

imported_Dave
06-30-2003, 11:56 PM
Does anyone ever use the do-it-yourself spray wash services at commercial car wash stations? I travel a lot and would like to keep my new car looking nice on the road so I`m wondering if these places do a safe job of cleaning the dirt/grime off the exterior. I`m talking about the places that you throw a few bucks in the slot and use a high-powered hose to suds up and car and rinse it away. I`m hoping this will be okay until I get home and do the job myself.

Scott P
07-01-2003, 07:24 AM
I wuld just carry a supply of MF towels and a bottle of Poorboy`s Spray and Wipe. It would be cheaper than the car wash and the car wold look a lot better since the spray never really gets off all of the dirt.

spotter
07-01-2003, 07:36 AM
2nd that. I keep about 6 PakShak MF towels and Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe mixed 50/50 with Clearkote`s QuikShine in my trunk. I went on a trip this weekend and as soon as I got the car unloaded I spent 15 minutes to clean the entire car (in a bright sun) and it looked like I had just waxed it.

JAGOWNER1981
07-01-2003, 07:59 AM
can someone explain how the spray and wipe doesn`t scratch and swirl the hell out of a paint finish?

TortoiseAWD
07-01-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Scott P

I wuld just carry a supply of MF towels and a bottle of Poorboy`s Spray and Wipe. It would be cheaper than the car wash and the car wold look a lot better since the spray never really gets off all of the dirt. Actually, I do both . . . I`m not comfortable using S&W on a very dirty car, so I drive to the spray bay about 1/2 block from my apt., and get the majority of dirt and bugs off the car. I take it for a quick spin around the block to get the panels mostly dry, then I use S&W. Wiping down the panels removes any remaining water, and the S&W does a good job of removing any remaining road film or dirt.

Tort

endus
07-01-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by AlBoston

can someone explain how the spray and wipe doesn`t scratch and swirl the hell out of a paint finish?

I`m sayin...I`m surprised so many people on here are QDing dirty cars and all that. I try not to rub the car with ANYTHING unless I`m doing a full wash.

I use the spray wash all the time during the winter. It only works well if you have a good coat of wax on the car, it`s not THAT dirty, and you have a good fast road to dry it on, but it does work. I especially like it because you can pressure wash the underside of your car to help keep the salt and garbage from accumulating and corroding...