PDA

View Full Version : 1st FULL detail experience

Beason
06-30-2003, 10:59 PM
Well I just finished my first complete detail of a White 2001 BMW 330ci with about 12,000 miles. I had always used Meg. Gold Class wash and wax when I did the car before, but today I decided to take it to the next level. I went to Home Depot and bought a Turtle Wax 6" Random Orbit Polisher for $20. I know its not the best but it did what I needed and for about a tenth of the price of a PC. I bought 9 applicator pads and 15 100% cotton terry cloth bonnets. It will be a three day process after it is all said and done here is what I have done. After I washed the car and was ready to start applying the cleaner and polishes I put masking tape on all the black plastic and rubber that could get wax caught in it.

Saturday

Washed car with dawn to strip off old wax

Clayed entire car with a Clay Magic system :xyxthumbs

Washed a second time with Meg. Gold Class Wash

Cleaned Engine with Simple Green

Moved car into garage and dried, compressed air cans are great for molding and mirrors highly recommended.

Mother Black-to-Black on engine

After car was completely dry, I used Meg. Paint Cleaner to make sure paint was squeacky clean.

Cleaned interior windows with Stoners Invisible Glass

Used Meg. Dash Foam on dash :up

Used Zymol 2-step leather cleaner and conditioner on leather

Used a microfiber glove to clean the wood and intruments of dust.

Vacumed Car

Sunday

Cali. Car Duster to get dust off.

Since I had a turtle wax polisher and not a PC I did the next to steps twice to make sure it looked good.

Meg. #9 Swirl Remover

Meg. #7 Show Car Glaze

after taking each application off I went over the entire car with Meg. QD and a MF to ensure all the stuff was off.

After I was positive I got the reflection that I wanted I used Meg. #20 Polymer Sealent.

Went over with a final dose of QD to make sure there was nothing left on the car.

Monday

After 18 hours of letting the Sealent cure I dusted off the car once more and did a QD once again.

Finally I used Meg. #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax

After taking off the wax I did another QD to make sure wax was completely off.

Waxed each wheel with Meg. cleaner/polish/wax to get a nice shine on them

Used Meg. Gold Class Endurance High Gloss on tires.

Used Mother Black-to-Black on any trim or plastic that needed attention.

Stoners Invisible Glass on exterior windows with a new MF

Finally I did my last QD on the car and I was finished.

Overall I was very pleased with the results. Even though there were a few scratches left I was not dissappointed because I knew that the polisher I used was not a PC. Great shine and the paint is as smooth as glass.

Tips and things I`ve learned

Have at least 4 MF towels, 1 for each of the following and mark them ... B-buffing, W-windows, I-Interior, QD- Quick Detail

Go to Home Depot and buy some high powered lights, 8 dollars each and all u need is two for a great amount of light.

Have Plenty of extra bonnets to take off wax and polish, I used probally 3 each coat.

Masking Tape is very helpful to ensure you do not get wax on trim.

Before you move on to your next step pull the car into the sunlight and look it over to make sure all polish or wax is off. Sunlight works better then any light.

Take a break to get something to drink after each coat, it keeps you cool and give u energy to do another.

Music is a great way to past the time, hardly realize 2 hours have gone by with it on.

Make sure you are happy with your work before you go on.

Problems.....I dont want to drive my car ever again, and I keep going back every 10 minutes to feel the paint and get the dust off then do a quick QD.:D

:xyxthumbs thanks to Autopia and its member for helping me with making my car look great.

Jngrbrdman
06-30-2003, 11:00 PM
:showpics

Fr0zen
06-30-2003, 11:06 PM
The compressed AIR cans is a good idea but sometimes it will spit out that crap inside the liquid and that stains any kind of plastic.

Beason
06-30-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Fr0zen

The compressed AIR cans is a good idea but sometimes it will spit out that crap inside the liquid and that stains any kind of plastic.

bought a 3 Pack of cans at Sams, the best sign is when the can gets cold its about to "spit", change cans and let the other one settle, when u start hearing a slushing sound inside the can, throw it away or use it for computers.

Beason
06-30-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

:showpics

why do I need pics?? it looks great and I can see it.:D As soon as I get a chance Ill take some in the sun and then post them

shaf
07-01-2003, 01:40 AM
Wow, what a big job! :xyxthumbs The only thing that I`d suggest for next time is that if you`re using #9 the Megs Paint "Cleaner" is a redundant step.