PDA

View Full Version : He shoots... He scores! 350Z to do on Wednesday!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jngrbrdman
06-30-2003, 07:01 PM
When I started at this law firm earlier this spring there was this really nice red 350Z in the parking lot. Out of all the cars in the lot, that was the one that I wanted to do. My first car was a Datsun 240Z and I`ve been wanting to get my hands on one ever since I heard about the Z concept a couple years ago.

The owner works in the IT department so I figured the best way to get in good with him was to do the rest of the IT department`s cars. ;) That way they would be talking to each other about it and his curiosity would be piqued. Ain`t I sneaky... That red oxidized beast of a truck I posted with the AIO on it was one of the IT guys. I have to admit that it caught my eye as well. I can`t pass up a good before/after opportunity. :D

Anyway, to make a long story short... 4 IT guys and 6 cars later I finally got him to come to me. :D Its a red 350Z and it has some nice swirlage going on. He must have been drying it with a bathtowel or something. The wheels look like gunmetal they have so much brake dust on them. I`ve never seen such a car look so bad. I can`t wait! I know its not a Porsche or a Lambo or anything like that, but I loved my Z and I was pretty excited when they brought it back.

Is there anything I should know about the 350Z that might make my job easier? Any suggestions for a plan of attack? I was sort of planing on something like this:

Wash (duh)

Clay

DACP

#9 (if the DACP leaves marks. Sometimes it does)

AIO

I might cheat and put some Souveran over the UPP. I don`t know that it will need it though. UPP needs at least 12 hours to cure but I don`t know what kind of negative effects I can expect by doing it too soon. Do you think it would just be a future durability issue? I don`t want the car looking good for too long. ;) Gotta give him a reason to bring it back to me, ya know? lol

Any tips for the 350 would be appreciated. I haven`t done one before but I imagine its just like every other car. I just wanted to check with you guys to make sure the paint won`t peel off if I don`t rub it right or something. :lol

Pats300zx
06-30-2003, 07:12 PM
Being a fellow Z`er, I really like the look of the 350Z. I think that the new 350Z convertible is going to look even nicer. Some of the Z shows I have been to have had some really nice modded 350Z`s.

Jngr..I can`t wait to see the results of this...I sure hope you take pics...:D

Jngrbrdman
06-30-2003, 07:18 PM
I`m going to have a red 350Z in my driveway and you have to ask me if I`m going to take pictures? In the immortal words of Balki Bartokomous: "Don`t be ridiculous!!" :D I`ll take pics for sure. :xyxthumbs

I just got my Car and Driver today. They had some nice pics of the new roadster version. Its funny... they`ve got the 350Z coming out with a drop top and I hear they are developing a hardtop (no convertible) for the S2K. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side in the automobile industry, eh? lol

Pats300zx
06-30-2003, 07:29 PM
Jngr...

Yes sorry I knew you would be taking pics lolol

Is it a track or touring version????

Jngrbrdman
06-30-2003, 07:33 PM
Hmmmm.... Good question. I`ll have to find out. How can you tell?

imported_Smoker
06-30-2003, 07:38 PM
I just put some nice Velvia in the N80 so I`ll be going over to offer morale support and snap a few.

While raiding jngrs detailing store and drinking all his Pepsi of course .......

Jngrbrdman
06-30-2003, 07:53 PM
I think Les Olson has done all the raiding that can be done. The shop is looking kinda baren these days... Between those tight wads at Les Olson and Smoker`s sticky fingers, I`m pretty much tapped out. lol

jonw440
06-30-2003, 07:53 PM
On the way to work the other night.... I saw a flatbed backing into a repair shop`s parking lot with his yellow lights on. I looked at the car on the flatbed and it was a Black 350Z.... bent almost in half............. It was gone the next day.

drewski59
06-30-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

Hmmmm.... Good question. I`ll have to find out. How can you tell?

The Track version has Brembo brakes(gold in color) and specially-made Ray`s Forged 18" wheels.:xyxthumbs

Can`t wait to see those pictures, either...:D

:wavey

Jngrbrdman
06-30-2003, 08:19 PM
All I know is that they are multi-spoke wheels. Lots of em. I`m having trouble finding pictures of Zs that aren`t moving so I can`t tell which ones they are. Anyway, if you know which version has the multi spoke wheels then that`s the version. :D

cerdas
06-30-2003, 08:38 PM
I helped a buddy out with his new 350Z (touring). I don`t have a PC but it was very easy to do by hand. Almost no trim to worry about, even around the windows, and the badges are large and easy to get around. His wheels (17 inch) were easy to reach into and clean, but the wheelwells were not.

imported_FUEL
06-30-2003, 09:21 PM
One tip about Nissans if you have not worked on them a lot. They have a very soft clear coat and even softer paint. If you are using a rotary stay uner 1200 rpms our its burn baby burn. Also watch the edges in particular on the hood for some reason Nissan hoods on the edges nick really easy.

MSOsr
06-30-2003, 09:26 PM
Base model, Enthusiast model and the AT Performance and Touring models all have 17" 7 spoke wheels. The Performance and Touring 6 MT models have 6 spoke 18" wheels. The Track model has 18" Rays forged wheels (also 6 spoked).

Only the Touring model has leather interior (unless aftermarket leather is added).

Jngrbrdman
06-30-2003, 09:28 PM
Its just going to be some PC action going on. I`ll keep that in mind about the edges though. Paint is always thinner there anyway. Fortunatly the 350 doesn`t have many seams.

bhobson333
06-30-2003, 09:42 PM
I made sure the dealer didn`t wash my 350Z, took it home and started with Dawn, claybar and Zaino. I`ll attach a pic of my 350z (Silverstone) today, after 9 coats.

:bounce

A lot of people have been complaining about orangepeel, I haven`t had much problem. Many people talk bad about the quality of Nissan paint in general. To me it seems comparable to the Honda it replaced (damning with faint praise? ;) )

The 350Z has some nice curves that really benefit from a good shine. I especially love the rear quarter, as you will see from the attacement. The car doesn`t have any sharp edges or really difficult places to get to; overall I consider it a relatively easy car to detail.

I have a bunch more pics if y`all want me to post. I need to create a gallery.