PDA

View Full Version : 6 years old and never been washed - with pics

Pages : [1] 2

pward76
06-30-2003, 02:31 PM
Ok, so on Mother`s day I did Mom`s new Passat - wasn`t a big deal. Offerred to do Dad`s `97 truck for Father`s day, forgetting that Dad never washes a vehicle. Yesterday was the first time I`d been able to get home to do it (110 miles). Took all the gear, got there Saturday about 6 PM. Dawn wash, clay (with Mother`s - good stuff), another wipe and dried it. Decided to try some stuff to see what my plan of attack would be the next morning - turned out to be 3M Medium Cut Rubbing Compound on a yellow pad, followed by DACP on a yellow pad. Here are before and after pics of the hood..

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/9178swirls_-med.jpg

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/9178no_swirls_-med.jpg

I was working on the truck the next morning at 7:30 - finished about 5:30. I taped off all the trim and the painted black pinstripes, worked a panel at a time, 1st with the MCRC, then the DACP. Next time, I will do the whole vehicle with one product at a time, once I have the correct "recipie". I did two coats of AIO, and topped with S100. Wiped down the interior, wiped the wheels and tires (these need more work, as do the chrome bumpers), did the glass, and the insides of the door openings.

Here are the results

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/9178dad_s_pass_side-med.jpg

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/9178dad_s_driver_side-med.jpg

My yellow pads were pretty gummed up towards the end and I only had the two - is it ok to wash them mid-polish? I am hoping that Dad will start washing it once in a while - I have left them some instructions, good towels, car soap, a CWB and a bottle of Eagle QD....

dmarcus48
06-30-2003, 02:45 PM
WOW! That`s an amazing difference! End product looks really good.:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

Spilchy
06-30-2003, 03:12 PM
Wonderful job :xyxthumbs Great effort!

I can only imagine how you felt when finished after all those hours!

A great topper in the future over your AIO is Collinite, especially since your old man doesn`t wash it often. It will prolong the life of the detail for many, many months.

imported_DetailGirl
06-30-2003, 03:15 PM
What are you using to apply the DACP? If a rotary (which I just found out works way better than a PC) then just rinse out the pads in a bucket of water, slap the thing back on the rotary, turn it up really high and let all the water spin off, and you`re set to go again. :) We do it all the time and it works great.

pward76
06-30-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanks!

Spilchy, I keep hearing about Collinite, I might have to give it a shot. Yes, I was one whipped pup after I was done. My fingers are swollen and sore today, but the effort was worth hearing my Dad mutter over and over, "That`s amazing!". Mom called today and said the neighbors actually applauded when Dad took the truck out after I left. (They live across the street and had seen me working on it all day)

DetailGirl, I`m using a PC, can I do the same with it? I know it won`t spin as fast....

unclearty
06-30-2003, 03:25 PM
Beautiful job...looks great! I agree, though...use something heavy duty to protect it...especially if he`s probably NOT going to wash it again till 2009!!

imported_Dude
06-30-2003, 03:27 PM
Magnificient!

Pats300zx
06-30-2003, 04:35 PM
Awesome...:bow

Jngrbrdman
06-30-2003, 04:39 PM
I wash my pads mid-job all the time. I just hose them off and then spin them sorta dry on the machine. As long as you don`t get the back wet they still work fine. After awhile they just don`t work anymore so you have to clean them out.

Great work! I love the difference on red. Its always a dramatic change. :xyxthumbs

Brad B
06-30-2003, 08:50 PM
Awesome!:bow

imported_edschwab1
07-01-2003, 01:13 AM
Great results!!!

Eric

Jake11375
07-02-2003, 10:21 AM
Those were some pretty deep swirls. You did an awesome job!

shaf
07-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Yeah what Jake said! Great jorb! :D :xyxthumbs

Personally I wouldn`t try DetailGirl`s trick with a PC - you`d probably splash water everywhere! :lol Take the pad off and clean it out by hand.

imported_buffer
07-03-2003, 10:17 AM
Did you use a PC, rotary or by hand to do the job?

Jake11375
07-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Hey Pward, what was your purpose in preceding with the MCRC before DACP? Is it more aggressive on deeper swirls?:confused: