PDA

View Full Version : UPP Help

Pages : [1] 2

Ferrarislave
08-21-2004, 09:59 PM
I went out and tried to apply another coat of UPP 24 hours have passed. When whiping off UPP I found it a bit hard to get off it would smug and under a flash light would leave wut looks like swirls but isnt its just oil you can move it around with your finger. What should I do now. ?? I tried using a different MF a little QD wont come off. I used UPP about 5x without the slighest problem..

Im thinking the wind might have brought some tire shine specs onto the paint from yesterday but it would be very minimal.

:wait

Boss_429
08-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Frozen,

Any "dampness" on the paint? Was it extremely humid?

Edit: Try some Spray & Wipe with a cotton towel.

rabbi
08-21-2004, 10:03 PM
I`m thinking moisture. H2O plays havoc with UPP.

Boss_429
08-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by rabbi
I`m thinking moisture. H2O plays havoc with UPP.

Exactly!

Ferrarislave
08-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Not really well possibly, its 52F outside and 93% humidity and my towels where a little moist from being washed earlier. I will go back out tommorow and try again. Could the tire shine specs possibly have done it to or maybe used to much UPP.

rabbi
08-21-2004, 10:15 PM
I really have doubts about too much UPP because when I first used UPP I know I put it on too thick. Now my micro did load up but other than that I had no problems. The only problem I ever had with UPP was with water.:dunno about the tire specs.

Boss_429
08-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Well, the tire shine could have caused it. Did it only give you trouble by the specs?

Sure, it could be too much UPP, but I`m leaning more towards the humidity/damp towels. UPP really doesn`t get along well with water/moisture. However, normally, you can "buff" through the problem. Maybe you have a bit too much UPP, and some moisture. :dunno

Ferrarislave
08-21-2004, 10:26 PM
will try tommorow with dry towels if that doesnt work I will use a little alchoal.

AutopiaAdmin
08-22-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Fr0zen
I went out and tried to apply another coat of UPP 24 hours have passed. When whiping off UPP I found it a bit hard to get off it would smug and under a flash light would leave wut looks like swirls but isnt its just oil you can move it around with your finger. What should I do now. ?? I tried using a different MF a little QD wont come off. I used UPP about 5x without the slighest problem..

Im thinking the wind might have brought some tire shine specs onto the paint from yesterday but it would be very minimal.

:wait

Sounds like it could be a combination of the application possibly being too thick, high humidity, the use of a damp towel and possible tire dressing contamination.

If you have ever seen amino-functional polymers in their raw for they are very slippery and do not mix with water.
These polymers need to be exposed to air to fully dry. This is called an "aerobic cure".

You can excelerate the time it takes for a polymer to cure by adding more petroleum solvents to the mix but Four Star prefers not to do that.

Application has to be thin and precise without the presence of water on the paint surface so humidity can be a factor.

Dwayne

Ferrarislave
08-22-2004, 06:00 PM
I see it got a little better but still isnt perfect I think the tire dressing contamination is the cause. I will wait for my towels to fully dry then go over it again.

groebuck
08-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Wash the car - it`s happened to me where it`s been humid or the car was just washed and when I applied I got some lil droplets in the applicator....then all seems well and it comes off but reflective light you can see what looks like oily smudges..

Ferrarislave
08-22-2004, 10:51 PM
Yeah exactly what it looks like, GRRRR My car is perfect wheel`s and wells are perfectly dressed. After the second coat it got messed up I will try with a dry towel my towels where damp after being washed.

Thanks for the tips.

kimwallace
08-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Damp towels and wiping off most sealants do not mix ... (of course you have heard that already)
If everything on the car is done and if the problem is still there after wiping down with a dry towel, try going over it with S&W instead of washing.

hook
08-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Fr0zen
Yeah exactly what it looks like, GRRRR My car is perfect wheel`s and wells are perfectly dressed. After the second coat it got messed up I will try with a dry towel my towels where damp after being washed.

Thanks for the tips.

This happened to me Sunday, I think it was the high humidity since I`ve learned the hard way not to let any water anywhere near the car or towels when applying/buff UPP.

Luckily, on Monday my supply of UGE came. I wiped the car down with it, and voila! No more oily "swirls".

blue skies,
Andrew

NYV6Coupe
08-24-2004, 11:36 AM
What about sweat?

Sounds absurd but here in WNY any weather over 65 degrees is considered summertime. When it hits 80 we don`t know what to do with ourselves. Add in some humidity & my head turns into a faucet.

I know I`m going to drip sweat in the surface when I`m working on it so any suggestions besides "be careful" when applying a sealant like EX-P or UPP? Please no comments about using a shower cap.

I had a `63 Corvette back in the 80`s that I used to show & I told people the shine came from putting myself (sweat) into my work .... always good for a laugh.