PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning rims??

vaca222
06-30-2003, 08:19 AM
Hi guys. I`ve noticed that on my rims I`ve got some concentrated areas of tar...little specles. My usual method of scrubbing isn`t really working. Is there any solution that I can buy that will be safe and effective on my rims? I`m thinking something like Desolv-It or Simple Green...any suggestions?

SK2003TypeS
06-30-2003, 09:39 AM
Look for a wheel cleaner that`s acid free if you`re concerned with your rims. You can try Goo gone too. Just wash/rinse after the goo gone.

vaca222
06-30-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by SK2003TypeS

Look for a wheel cleaner that`s acid free if you`re concerned with your rims. You can try Goo gone too. Just wash/rinse after the goo gone. Perfect, I was thinking of something along those lines. Thanks!

Blue-Sun
06-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Eagle A2Z is a pretty powerful cleaner. . .look what it did in my exhaust! (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24922)

shaf
06-30-2003, 03:57 PM
If the rims are older and have had times when they`ve sat around for a long time with tons of brake dust on them, be aware that the little specks that look like tar MAY actually be brake dust that has embedded itself into the finish. I`m not sure that there`s much you can do for it other than trying to abrade them out with a polish - cleaners don`t seem to work on these spots.

Here`s hoping it`s just tar like you say though. :) Good luck!